Search Results: "joerg"

8 December 2020

Russell Coker: Links December 2020

Business Insider has an informative article about the way that Google users can get locked out with no apparent reason and no recourse [1]. Something to share with clients when they consider putting everything in the cloud . Vice has an interestoing article about people jailbreaking used Teslas after Tesla has stolen software licenses that were bought with the car [2]. The Atlantic has an interesting article titled This Article Won t Change Your Mind [3]. It s one of many on the topic of echo chambers but has some interesting points that others don t seem to cover, such as regarding the benefits of groups when not everyone agrees. Inequality.org has lots of useful information about global inequality [4]. Jeffrey Goldberg has an insightful interview with Barack Obama for the Atlantic about the future course of American politics and a retrospective on his term in office [5]. A Game Designer s Analysis Of QAnon is an insightful Medium article comparing QAnon to an augmented reality game [6]. This is one of the best analysis of QAnon operations that I ve seen. Decrypting Rita is one of the most interesting web comics I ve read [7]. It makes good use of side scrolling and different layers to tell multiple stories at once. PC Mag has an article about the new features in Chrome 87 to reduce CPU use [8]. On my laptop I have 1/3 of all CPU time being used when it is idle, the majority of which is from Chrome. As the CPU has 2 cores this means the equivalent of 1 core running about 66% of the time just for background tabs. I have over 100 tabs open which I admit is a lot. But it means that the active tabs (as opposed to the plain HTML or PDF ones) are averaging more than 1% CPU time on an i7 which seems obviously unreasonable. So Chrome 87 doesn t seem to live up to Google s claims. The movie Bad President starring Stormy Daniels as herself is out [9]. Poe s Law is passe. Interesting summary of Parler, seems that it was designed by the Russians [10]. Wired has an interesting article about Indistinguishability Obfuscation, how to encrypt the operation of a program [11]. Joerg Jaspert wrote an interesting blog post about the difficulties packagine Rust and Go for Debian [12]. I think that the problem is many modern languages aren t designed well for library updates. This isn t just a problem for Debian, it s a problem for any long term support of software that doesn t involve transferring a complete archive of everything and it s a problem for any disconnected development (remote sites and sites dealing with serious security. Having an automatic system for downloading libraries is fine. But there should be an easy way of getting the same source via an archive format (zip will do as any archive can be converted to any other easily enough) and with version numbers.

2 November 2020

Joerg Jaspert: Debian NEW Queue, Rust packaging

Debian NEW Queue So for some reason I got myself motivated again to deal with some packages in Debians NEW Queue. We had 420 source packages waiting for some kind of processing when I started, now we are down to something around 10. (Silly, people keep uploading stuff ) That s not entirely my own work, others from the team have been active too, but for those few days I went through a lot of stuff waiting. And must say it still feels mostly like it did when I somehow stopped doing much in NEW. Except - well, I feel that maintainers are much better in preparing their packages, especially that dreaded task of getting the copyright file written seems to be one that is handled much better. Now, thats not supported by any real numbers, just a feeling, but a good one, I think.

Rust Dealing with NEW meant I got in contact with one part that currently generates some friction between the FTP Team and one group of package maintainers - the Rust team. Note: this is, of course, entirely written from my point of view. Though with the intention of presenting it as objective as possible. Also, I know what rust is, and have tried a Hello world in it, but that s about my deep knowledge of it

The problem Libraries in rust are bundled/shipped/whatever in something called crates, and you manage what your stuff needs and provides with a tool called cargo. A library (one per crate) can provide multiple features, say a TLS lib can link against gnutls or openssl or some other random implementation. Such features may even be combinable in various different ways, so one can have a high number of possible feature combinations for one crate. There is a tool called debcargo which helps creating a Debian package out of a crate. And that tool generates so-called feature-packages, one per feature / combination thereof. Those feature packages are empty packages, only containing a symlink for their /usr/share/doc/ directory, so their size is smaller than the metadata they will produce. Inside the archive and the files generated by it, stuff that every user everywhere has to download and their apt has to process. Additionally, any change of those feature sets means one round through NEW, which is also not ideal. So, naturally, the FTP Team dislikes those empty feature packages. Really, a lot. There appears to be a different way. Not having the feature packages, but putting all the combinations into a Provides header. That sometimes works, but has two problems:
  • It can generate really long Provides: lines. I mean, REALLY REALLY REALLY long. Somewhat around 250kb is the current record. Thats long enough that a tool (not dak itself) broke on it. Sure, that tool needs to be fixed, but still, that s not nice. Currently preferred from us, though.
  • Some of the features may need different dependencies (say, gnutls vs openssl), should those conflict with each other, you can not combine them into one package.

Solutions Currently we do not have a good one. The rust maintainers and the ftp team are talking, exploring various ideas, we will see what will come out.

Devel archive / Component One of the possible solutions for the feature package problem would be something that another set of packages could also make good use of, I think. The introduction of a new archive or component, meant only for packages that are needed to build something, but where users are discouraged from ever using them. What? Well, take golang as an example. While we have a load of golang-something packages in Debian, and they are used for building applications written in go - none of those golang-something are meant to be installed by users. If you use the language and develop in it, the go get way is the one you are expected to use. So having an archive (or maybe component like main or contrib) that, by default, won t be activated for users, but only for things like buildds or archive rebuilds, will make one problem (hated metadata bloat) be evaluated wildly different. It may also allow a more relaxed processing of binary-NEW (easier additions of new feature packages).

But but but Yes, it is not the most perfect solution. Without taking much energy to think about, it requires
  • an adjustment in how main is handled. Right now we have the golden rule that main is self contained, that is, things in it may not need anything outside it for building or running. That would need to be adjusted for building. (Go as well as currently rust are always building static binaries, so no library dependencies there).
  • It would need handling for the release, that is, the release team would need to deal with that archive/component too. We haven t, yet, talked to them (still, slowly, discussing inside FTP Team). So, no idea how many rusty knives they want to sink into our nice bodies for that idea

Final Well, it is still very much open. Had an IRC meeting with the rust people, will have another end of November, it will slowly go forward. And maybe someone comes up with an entire new idea that we all love. Don t know, time will tell.

3 November 2017

Joerg Jaspert: Automated wifi login, update 2

Seems my blog lately just consist of updates to my automated login script for the ICE wifi But I do hate the entirely useless Click a button crap, every day, twice. I ve seen it once, now leave me alone, please. Updated script:
#!/bin/bash
# (Some) docs at
# https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/NetworkManager/Dispatcher/
IFACE=$ 1:-"none" 
ACTION=$ 2:-"up" 
TMPDIR=$ TMPDIR:-"/tmp" 
WGET="/usr/bin/wget"
TIMEOUT="/usr/bin/timeout -k 20 15"
case $ ACTION  in
    up)
        CONID=$ CONNECTION_ID:-$(iwconfig $IFACE   grep ESSID   cut -d":" -f2   sed 's/^[^"]*"\ "[^"]*$//g') 
        if [[ $ CONID  == WIFIonICE ]]; then
            REFERER="http://www.wifionice.de/de/"
            LOGIN="http://www.wifionice.de/de/"
            COOKIETMP=$(mktemp -p $ TMPDIR  nmwifionice.XXXXXXXXX)
            trap "rm -f $ COOKIETMP " EXIT TERM HUP INT QUIT
            csrftoken=$($ TIMEOUT  $ WGET  -q -O - --keep-session-cookies --save-cookies=$ COOKIETMP  --referer $ REFERER  $ LOGIN     grep -oP  'CSRFToken"\ value="\K[0-9a-z]+')
            if [[ -z $ csrftoken  ]]; then
                echo "CSRFToken is empty"
                exit 0
            fi
            sleep 1
            $ TIMEOUT  $ WGET  -q -O - --load-cookies=$ COOKIETMP  --post-data="login=true&connect=connect&CSRFToken=$ csrftoken " --referer $ REFERER  $ LOGIN  >/dev/null
        fi
        ;;
    *)
        # We are not interested in this
        :
        ;;
esac

24 July 2017

Joerg Jaspert: Automated wifi login, update

With recent changes the automated login script for WifiOnICE stopped working. Fortunately a fix is easy, it is enough to add a referrer header to the call and have de/ added to the url. Updated script:
#!/bin/bash
# (Some) docs at
# https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/NetworkManager/Dispatcher/
IFACE=$ 1:-"none" 
ACTION=$ 2:-"up" 
case $ ACTION  in
    up)
        CONID=$ CONNECTION_ID:-$(iwgetid "$ IFACE " -r) 
        if [[ $ CONID  == WIFIonICE ]]; then
            /usr/bin/timeout -k 20 15 /usr/bin/wget -q -O - --referer http://www.wifionice.de/de/ http://www.wifionice.de/de/?login > /dev/null
        fi
        ;;
    *)
        # We are not interested in this
        :
        ;;
esac

23 February 2017

Joerg Jaspert: Automated wifi login

If you have the fortune to need to follow some silly Login button for some wifi, regularly, the following little script may help you avoid this idiotic (and useless) task. This example uses the WIFIonICE, the free wifi on german ICE trains, simply as I have it twice a day, and got annoyed by the pointless Login button. A friend pointed me at just wget-ting the login page, so I made Network-Manager do this for me. Should work for anything similar that doesn t need some elaborate webform filled out.
#!/bin/bash
# (Some) docs at
# https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/NetworkManager/Dispatcher/
IFACE=$ 1:-"none" 
ACTION=$ 2:-"up" 
case $ ACTION  in
    up)
        CONID=$ CONNECTION_ID:-$(iwconfig $IFACE   grep ESSID   cut -d":" -f2   sed 's/^[^"]*"\ "[^"]*$//g') 
        if [[ $ CONID  == WIFIonICE ]]; then
            /usr/bin/timeout -k 20 15 /usr/bin/wget -q -O - http://www.wifionice.de/?login > /dev/null
        fi
        ;;
    *)
        # We are not interested in this
        :
        ;;
esac
This script needs to be put into /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d and made executable, owned by the root user. It will run on every connection change, thats why the ACTION is checked. The case may be a bit much here, but it could be easily extended to do a lot more. Yay, no more silly Open this webpage and press login crap.

25 August 2016

Joerg Jaspert: New gnupg-agent in Debian

In case you just upgraded to the latest gnupg-agent and used gnupg-agent as your ssh-agent you may find that ssh refuses to work with a simple but not helpful sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed: agent refused operation This seems to come from systemd starting the agent, no longer a script at the start of the X session. And so it ends up with either no or an unusable tty. A simple
gpg-connect-agent updatestartuptty /bye
updates that and voila, ssh agent functionality is back in. Note: This assumes you have enable-ssh-support in your ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf

27 April 2016

Niels Thykier: auto-decrufter in top 5 after 10 months

About 10 months ago, we enabled an auto-decrufter in dak. Then after 3 months it had become the top 11th remover . Today, there are only 3 humans left that have removed more packages than the auto-decrufter impressively enough, one of them is not even an active FTP-master (anymore). The current score board:
 5371 Luca Falavigna
 5121 Alexander Reichle-Schmehl
 4401 Ansgar Burchardt
 3928 DAK's auto-decrufter
 3257 Scott Kitterman
 2225 Joerg Jaspert
 1983 James Troup
 1793 Torsten Werner
 1025 Jeroen van Wolffelaar
  763 Ryan Murray
For comparison, here is the number removals by year for the past 6 years:
 5103 2011
 2765 2012
 3342 2013
 3394 2014
 3766 2015  (1842 removed by auto-decrufter)
 2845 2016  (2086 removed by auto-decrufter)
Which tells us that in 2015, the FTP masters and the decrufter performed on average over 10 removals a day. And by the looks of it, 2016 will surpass that. Of course, the auto-decrufter has a tendency to increase the number of removed items since it is an advocate of remove early, remove often! .:) Data is from https://ftp-master.debian.org/removals-full.txt. Scoreboard computed as:
  grep ftpmaster: removals-full.txt   \
   perl -pe 's/.*ftpmaster:\s+//; s/\]$//;'   \
   sort   uniq -c   sort --numeric --reverse   head -n10
Removals by year computed as:
 grep ftpmaster: removals-full.txt   \
   perl -pe 's/.* (\d 4 ) \d 2 :\d 2 :\d 2 .*/$1/'   uniq -c   tail -n6
(yes, both could be done with fewer commands)
Filed under: Debian

15 March 2016

Joerg Jaspert: Removing checksums

And as just announced on d-d-a, I m trying to break all the tools dealing with the (Debian) archive. Or something like it. But its about time to get rid of MD5Sum checksums, and SHA1 can go with it directly. As it is only in experimental for now, we can test and see what still breaks. I hope it won t be too much, so we can get it over all the archive (minus the stable stuff, of course). For some reason, what I like most in this change is the following python code that ended up in our InRelease file generation tool:
import apt_pkg
# Note: suite.checksums being an array with possible values of md5sum, sha1, sha256
hashfuncs = dict(zip([x.upper().replace('UM', 'um') for x in suite.checksums],
                      [getattr(apt_pkg, "%s" % (x)) for x in [x.replace("sum", "") + "sum" for x in suite.checksums]]))
Though I m sure this can be done in much more readable ways, it s doing what we need, but heck, took me a while to get it. But probably the change to get rid of gzip will be much more challenging / hard to get through. Lets see, in the few minutes after my mail, I already got some notices about possible breakage here. Fortunately those indices and the release file stuff are nicely seperated settings, so if it turns out we only take the checksums drop for now into the other suites, thats doable.

9 March 2016

Joerg Jaspert: Squeeze fully archived

While writing this, the last bits of squeeze that haven t been on archive.debian.org yet are moved over there, that is security and the lts suite. As soon as that script done, some tiny archive magic will happen and over the next few dinstall runs, the rest of squeeze that still was there will no longer be on our regular mirror network anymore. If you still use it, now is the time to upgrade. Update: Forgot to mention, but yes, squeeze-backports(-sloppy) is also archived on archive.debian.org.

6 March 2016

Joerg Jaspert: New ftpsync release

It took nearly a year, but today a new ftpsync version got released. Most of the work for this release was done by weasel, with one new feature submitted by waldi, my work was mostly style fixes and a bit of documentation. And of course the release now. If you run a mirror, you will find the new version at the usual place, that is the project/ftpsync/ subdirectory. You may also want to subscribe to the debian mirrors mailinglist, as the mirror team will post more information about changes in ftpsync there.

1 February 2016

Raphaël Hertzog: My Free Software Activities in January 2016

My monthly report covers a large part of what I have been doing in the free software world. I write it for my donators (thanks to them!) but also for the wider Debian community because it can give ideas to newcomers and it s one of the best ways to find volunteers to work with me on projects that matter to me. Debian LTS I did not ask for any paid hours this month and won t be requesting paid hours for the next 5 months as I have a big project to handle with a deadline in June. That said I still did a few LTS related tasks: Distro Tracker Due to many nights spent on playing Splatoon (I m at level 33, rank B+, anyone else playing it?), I did not do much work on Distro Tracker. After having received the bug report #809211, I investigated the reasons why SQLite was no longer working satisfactorily in Django 1.9 and I opened the upstream ticket 26063 and I had a long discussion with two upstream developers to find out the best fix. The next point release (1.9.2) will fix that annoying regression. I also merged a couple of contributions (two patches from Christophe Siraut, one adding descriptions to keywords, cf #754413, one making it more obvious that chevrons in action items are actionable to show more data, a patch from Balasankar C in #810226 fixing a bad URL in an action item). I fixed a small bug in the unsubscribe command of the mail bot, it was not properly recognizing source packages. I updated the task notifying of new upstream versions to use the data generated by UDD (instead of the data generated by Christoph Berg s mole-based implementation which was suffering from a few bugs). Debian Packaging Testing experimental sbuild. While following the work of Johannes Schauer on sbuild, I installed the version from experimental to support his work and give him some feedback. In the process I uncovered #810248. Python sponsorship. I reviewed and uploaded many packages for Daniel Stender who keeps doing great work maintaining prospector and all its recursive dependencies: pylint-common, python-requirements-detector, sphinx-argparse, pylint-django, prospector. He also prepared an upload of python-bcrypt which I requested last month for Django. Django packaging. I uploaded Django 1.8.8 to jessie-backports.
My stable updates for Django 1.7.11 was not handled before the release of Debian 8.3 even though it was filed more than 1.5 months before. Misc stuff. My stable update for debian-handbook has been accepted fairly shortly after my last monthly report (thank you Adam!) so I uploaded the package once acked by a release manager. I also sponsor a backports upload of zim prepared by Joerg Desch. Kali related work Kernel work. The switch to Linux 4.3 in Kali resulted in a few bug reports that I investigated with the help of #debian-kernel and where I reported my findings back so that the Debian kernel could also benefit from the fixes I uploaded to Kali: first we included a patch for a regression in the vmwgfx video driver used by VMWare virtual machines (which broke the gdm login screen), then we fixed the input-modules udeb to fix support of some Logitech keyboards in debian-installer (see #796096). Misc work. I made a non-maintainer upload of python-maxminddb to fix #805689 which had been removed from stretch and that we needed in Kali. I also had to NMU libmaxminddb since it was no longer available on armel and we actually support armel in Kali. During that NMU, it occurred to me that dh-exec could offer a feature of optional install , that is installing a file that exists but not failing if it doesn t exist. I filed this as #811064 and it stirred up quite some debate. Thanks See you next month for a new summary of my activities.

No comment Liked this article? Click here. My blog is Flattr-enabled.

3 January 2016

Lunar: Reproducible builds: week 35 in Stretch cycle

What happened in the reproducible builds effort between December 20th to December 26th: Toolchain fixes Mattia Rizzolo rebased our experimental versions of debhelper (twice!) and dpkg on top of the latest releases. Reiner Herrmann submited a patch for mozilla-devscripts to sort the file list in generated preferences.js files. To be able to lift the restriction that packages must be built in the same path, translation support for the __FILE__ C pre-processor macro would also be required. Joerg Sonnenberger submitted a patch back in 2010 that would still be useful today. Chris Lamb started work on providing a deterministic mode for debootstrap. Packages fixed The following packages have become reproducible due to changes in their build dependencies: bouncycastle, cairo-dock-plug-ins, darktable, gshare, libgpod, pafy, ruby-redis-namespace, ruby-rouge, sparkleshare. The following packages became reproducible after getting fixed: Some uploads fixed some reproducibility issues, but not all of them: Patches submitted which have not made their way to the archive yet: reproducible.debian.net Statistics for package sets are now visible for the armhf architecture. (h01ger) The second build now has a longer timeout (18 hours) than the first build (12 hours). This should prevent wasting resources when a machine is loaded. (h01ger) Builds of Arch Linux packages are now done using a tmpfs. (h01ger) 200 GiB have been added to jenkins.debian.net (thanks to ProfitBricks!) to make room for new jobs. The current count is at 962 and growing! diffoscope development Aside from some minor bugs that have been fixed, a one-line change made huge memory (and time) savings as the output of transformation tool is now streamed line by line instead of loaded entirely in memory at once. disorderfs development Andrew Ayer released disorderfs version 0.4.2-1 on December 22th. It fixes a memory corruption error when processing command line arguments that could cause command line options to be ignored. Documentation update Many small improvements for the documentation on reproducible-builds.org sent by Georg Koppen were merged. Package reviews 666 (!) reviews have been removed, 189 added and 162 updated in the previous week. 151 new fail to build from source reports have been made by Chris West, Chris Lamb, Mattia Rizzolo, and Niko Tyni. New issues identified: unsorted_filelist_in_xul_ext_preferences, nondeterminstic_output_generated_by_moarvm. Misc. Steven Chamberlain drew our attention to one analysis of the Juniper ScreenOS Authentication Backdoor: Whilst this may have been added in source code, it was well-disguised in the disassembly and just 7 instructions long. I thought this was a good example of the current state-of-the-art, and why we'd like our binaries and eventually, installer and VM images reproducible IMHO. Joanna Rutkowska has mentioned possible ways for Qubes to become reproducible on their development mailing-list.

14 December 2015

Matthias Klumpp: AppStream/DEP-11 fully supported in Debian now!

AppStream on DebianBack in 2011, when the AppStream meeting in N rnberg had just happened, I published the DEP-11 (Debian Extension Project 11) draft together with Michael Vogt and Julian Andres Klode, as an approach to implement AppStream in Debian. Back then, the FTPMasters team rejected the suggestion to use the official XML specification, and so the DEP-11 specification was adapted to be based on YAML instead of XML. This wasn t much of a big deal, since the initial design of DEP-11 was to be a superset of the AppStream specification, so it wasn t meant to be exactly like AppStream anyway. AppStream back then was only designed for applications (as in stuff that provides a .desktop file ), but with DEP-11 we aimed for much more: DEP-11 should also describe fonts, drivers, pkg-config files and other metadata, so in the end one would be able to ask the package manager meaningful questions like is the firmware of device X installed? or request actions such as please install me the GIMP , making it unnecessary to know package names at all, and making packages a mere implementation detail. Then, GNOME-Software happened and demanded all these features. Back then, I was the de-facto maintainer of the AppStream upstream project already, but didn t feel like being the maintainer yet, so I only curated the existing specification, without extending it much. The big push forward GNOME-Software created changed that dramatically, and with me taking control of the specification and documenting it properly, the very essence of DEP-11 became AppStream (that was around the AppStream 0.6 release). So today, DEP-11 is mainly a YAML-based version of the AppStream XML specification. AppStream XML and DEP-11 YAML are implemented by two projects, GLib and Qt libraries exist to access the metadata and AppStream is used by the software centers of GNOME, KDE and Elementary. Today there are two things to celebrate for me: First of all, there is the release of AppStream 0.9 (that happened last Saturday already), which brings some nice improvements to the API for developers and some micro-optimizations to speed up Xapian database queries. Yay! The second thing is full DEP-11 support in Debian! This means that you don t need to copy metadata around manually, or install extra packages: All you need to do is to install the appstream package, everything else is done for you, and the data is kept up to date automatically. This is made possible by APT 1.1 (thanks to the whole APT team!), some dedicated support for it in AppStream directly, the work of our Sysadmin team at Debian, which set up infrastructure to build the metadata automatically, as well as our FTPMasters team where Joerg helped with the final steps of getting the metadata into the archive. That AppStream data is now in the archive doesn t mean we live in a perfect utopia yet there are still issues to be handled, but all the major work is done now and we can now gradually improve the data generator and tools and squash the remaining bugs. And another item from the good news department: It s highly likely that Ubuntu will follow Debian in AppStream/DEP-11 support with the upcoming Xenial release! But how can I make use of the new metadata? Just install the appstream package everything is done for you! Another easy way is to install GNOME-Software, which makes use of the new metadata already. KDE Discover in Debian does not enable support for AppStream yet, this will likely come later. If you prefer to use the command-line, you can now use commands like
sudo appsteamcli install org.kde.kate.desktop
This will simply install the Kate text editor. Who wants some statistics? At time the Debian Sid/Unstable suite contains 1714 valid software components. It could be even more if the errors generated during metadata extraction would be resolved. For that, the metadata generator has a nice statistics page, showing the amount of each hint type in the suite and the development of the available software components in Debian and the hint types count over time (this plot feature was just added recently, so we are still a bit low on data). For packagers and interested upstreams, the data extractor creates detailed reports for each package, explaining why data was not included and how to fix the issue (in case something is unclear, please file a bug report and/or get in contact with me). In summary Thanks to everyone who helped to make this happen! For me this project means a lot, when writing this blog post I realized that I am basically working on it for almost 5 years (!) now (and the idea is even older). Seeing it to grow to such a huge success in other distributions was a joy, but now Debian can join the game with first-class AppStream support as well, which makes me even happier. Afterall Debian is the distribution I feel most at home. There is still lots of work to do (and already a few bugs known), but the hardest part of the journey is done let s walk into a bright future with AppStream!

20 July 2013

Luke Faraone: Joining the Debian FTPTeam

I'm pleased to say that I have joined the Debian FTPTeam as of the Friday before last. See Joerg Jaspert's announcement on debian-devel-announce.

The FTPTeam is responsible for maintaining the Debian software archive, and ensures that new software in Debian is high-quality and compliant with our policies.

As an "ftpassistant", I (along with Paul, Scott, Gergely, and others) will be helping to process the NEW queue, which is currently at a whopping 297 packages. Here's hoping we'll be able to get that number down over the coming weeks!

17 July 2013

Joerg Jaspert: tmux - tm

Wohoo, one more in that little series of mine, another update to tm. This time it gained getopts style options - while retaining the old non-getopts style. It now can open more than one multisession to the same set of hosts, so you can connect multiple times to host1 host2 at the same time. No matter if you open them using the ms subcommand or the pre-defined sessions from the .tmux.d directory. I also took a bit and wrote some zsh completion for it. I m pretty sure this can be done better and am happy for patches, but it does work for me, so for now I m happy. You can, as usual, grab tm from my misc git repository, the zsh completion is in my zsh config repository - also at Github.

4 May 2013

Joerg Jaspert: Wheezy release

There was Lenny, there was Squeeze, now there is Wheezy. Another major release of Debian where I had the pleasure to do the ftpmaster work for the release. Like the last times, Mark joined to help with the work. But 2 FTPMasters aren t enough for one Wheezy, or so, so Ansgar had his first run aside from point releases. With the whole load of work the release team did in the past to prepare this, combined with all the changes in dak we had since Squeeze, it turned out to be rather easy for us. Again, a few moments and not a detailed log (times in CEST): Right now (that is, 21:08 CEST) I am mostly waiting for the CD build to finish. Current schedule seems to have that in some two and a half hours, after which we can push the mirrors and our press people announce it. Except if Murphy wants to show up, but lets hope that not. Thanks go out to everyone involved in preparing this release, be it in the past by fixing bugs, uploading packages, doing whatever was needed, as well as doing the work today.

17 April 2013

Joerg Jaspert: tmux - tm update

Just did a small update to my tm helper script. There is now a new variable, TMSESSHOST. If that is set to false, the hostname of the current machine won t be prepended to the generated session name. true is the default, as that was the behaviour in the past. It now can attach to any session, not just the ones it created itself, thus nearly entirely removing my need of ever calling tmux directly. And cosmetically - window names for sessions defined in the .tmux.d directory are no longer plain Multisession , but the session name as defined in the file. If you are interested, you can get it over here from my git repository of misc stuff

18 March 2013

Joerg Jaspert: tmux - tm

Just a small update for those that use my little tmux helper: You may want to fetch the latest version from my git repository. At least if you have to deal with a tmux version prior to 1.4 (like, on squeeze), though I really recommend to use a later one. 1.6 from backports or 1.7 (but thats not backported). Fix is small, just a better handling of the non-existing -V option to get the version information.

14 March 2013

Joerg Jaspert: zsh config - and prompt

As most people that are using that funny grey on black thing with the blinking white box AKA a commandline, I do have a heavily configured shell. zsh in my case. Some while ago my old configuration for it started to annoy me and so I set out to redo it. With the basic requirement to be flexible and able to adjust to various zsh versions (back as far as Lenny). I ve set out and looked how others do it and took the (I hope) best bits and put them together in a way I like it. Maybe others want to pick from me, so here I describe a little, maybe someone is interested First - the config is completly inside .zsh. The only thing directly in my $HOME is a symlink from $HOME/.zshenv to $HOME/.zsh/zshenv.home. All in one place, nicer this way. The zshenv just sets ZDOTDIR, so zsh then uses the .zsh itself. Next I am using modules . Well, actually everything is splitted out in small(er) files, so its way easier to maintain. And to overwrite stuff wherever I need to. So my .zshrc just loads those module files - and then goes and checks if it finds the same file inside a series of subdirectories. Those subdirectories are based on the hostname, the kernel name, the username, the domain name and the name of the distribution of the system. And a number of combinations of those. That system allows me, for example, to have a set of aliases defined only on Debian systems (like those to do with apt-get & co). Or define some extra variables if I login to the host franck, domain debian.org. Or whatever more. I m also on the way of doing something similar for all my dotfiles. While I was working at that I finally got fed up with the fact that my prompt, which is based on Phil! s wasn t doing what I wanted it on various of the hosts I access. Thankfully someone pointed me at a change to the grml zsh config: Frank Terbeck rewrote their prompt to make use of the zstyle system. Now that got me going, I like the idea of having the whole prompt easily configurable and changeable. My prompt always has shown slight differences depending on where the shell runs, which meant I had to carefully craft PS1 for every such change, and when one changes something one had to check all the places to adjust them too. No longer. I took Franks work and extended it for me. I wanted to still have a design matching my old prompt (minus colors, I changed color themes anyways), but with full flexibility the zstyle system can offer here. Now I am at a point where As an example, on the ftp-master host my prompt, while otherwise being the same as everywhere else, contains one extra item - displaying the current status of the archive (dinstall). If you want to try it, the setup file is available, but note that I don t give any warranty. :) Works for me . I load it in my Prompts module, while having the prompt setup file in my function path. The 4 commented lines, my testcase, are a nice example of a custom token, though a real life one, the setup for the ftp-master prompt with the one extra item can be found over here. Comments? Bugfixes? Enhancements? Update: Got asked for an example how to use my prompt to fake another. So here is what you need to do to use my prompt setup to imitate the prompt clint, as delivered with zsh:
autoload promptinit && promptinit
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff' vcs_info true
# Alternatively you can set whatever you like it to be.
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff' set_vcs_info_defaults true
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff' colors true
## no right prompt
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:right:setup' use-rprompt false
## color of brackets depending on variable
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:openbracket' pre '$ $ SSH_CLIENT+"$ PR_YELLOW " :-"$ PR_RED " '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:openbracket' post '$ PR_NO_COLOR '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:closebracket' pre '$ $ SSH_CLIENT+"$ PR_YELLOW " :-"$ PR_RED " '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:closebracket' post '$ PR_NO_COLOR '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:openanglebracket' pre '$ $ SSH_CLIENT+"$ PR_YELLOW " :-"$ PR_RED " '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:openanglebracket' post '$ PR_NO_COLOR '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:closeanglebracket' pre '$ $ SSH_CLIENT+"$ PR_YELLOW " :-"$ PR_RED " '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:closeanglebracket' post '$ PR_NO_COLOR '
## extra date format, and its color
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:date' token '%D %a %y/%m/%d %R %Z '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:date' pre '$ PR_CYAN '
## pts. %l instead of %y, also color again
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:pts' token '%l'
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:pts' pre '$ PR_GREEN '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:pts' post '$ PR_NO_COLOR '
## host ends with :
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:host' token '%m:'
## and a different style for the rc level
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:rc' token '%(?..[%?%1v] )'
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:rc' pre ''
## change color for other parts that differ to my default
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:user' pre '$ PR_GREEN '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:host' pre '$ PR_GREEN '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:at' pre '$ PR_GREEN '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:path' pre '$ PR_GREEN '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:history' pre ''
## Show the shell level in a different way
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:shell-level' pre ''
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:shell-level' token 'zsh%(2L./$SHLVL.) '
## And history is just a bold number. Lazy here, not using pre and post
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:history' token '%B%h%b '
## And the last part in prompt, a # or % depending on privileges
## Using standard zsh tokens for bold
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:privileges' pre '%B'
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:privileges' post '%b'
## Now there are two parts not defined by default, so lets create them
## Both are simple existing variables, no need for extra precmd functions
## system info
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:extra:ostype' pre '$ PR_CYAN '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:extra:ostype' post '$ PR_NO_COLOR '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:extra:ostype' token "$ MACHTYPE /$ OSTYPE /$(uname -r)"
## zsh version
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:extra:zshvers' pre '$ PR_CYAN '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:extra:zshvers' post '$ PR_NO_COLOR '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:extra:zshvers' token "$ ZSH_VERSION "
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:left:full:setup' items \
    openbracket date closebracket openbracket pts closebracket openbracket ostype closebracket \
    openbracket zshvers closebracket newline openanglebracket user at host \
    path closeanglebracket newline \
    shell-level space history rc space vcs privileges space
prompt ganneff
And if you now tell me Uh, thats so much more than just saying /prompt clint/ , then you are right. But then: This way is flexible. As I wrote above, my prompt on the ftpmaster host is different. Actually, my prompt on all machines inside the domain debian.org differs, by having
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:*:items:host' pre '$ PR_YELLOW '
in the Prompts definition for domain:debian.org. And thats enough to show me im on a .debian.org machine by a yellow hostname, instead of my default red. On the ftpmaster host I have the additional few lines: # Want one more piece in my prompt here, dinstall status zstyle :prompt:ganneff:left:full:setup items \ ulcorner line openparentheses user at host pts closeparentheses line history \ line dinstall line shell-level line flexline openparentheses path closeparentheses line urcorner newline \ llcorner line rc openparentheses time closeparentheses line vcs line change-root pipe space
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:extra:dinstall' pre '$ PR_CYAN '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:extra:dinstall' post '$ PR_NO_COLOR '
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:extra:dinstall' token '$DINSTALL'
zstyle ':prompt:ganneff:extra:dinstall' precmd jj_update_dinstall
zmodload zsh/mapfile
jj_update_dinstall ()  
    DINSTALL="$ $ (z)$ (f)mapfile[/srv/ftp.debian.org/web/dinstall.status] [2] [3,99] "
 
And woo, thats simple. I think. (There ought to be a way to just easily add the item at a defined place in the items zstyle, but meh, too lazy to look).

2 March 2013

Joerg Jaspert: Goodbye Lenny

So this weekend was removal time, namely Lenny. I started out by getting all the different archives which had a Lenny release placed onto archive.debian.org, namely volatile, backports, security and of course the main archive. Actually, they got put onto one of the two hosts that hold this archive and are now syncing to the other. Today started by removing Lenny from those archives. As volatile is dead as an extra archive that was easy - DSA turned off the machine. Backports and security got all their files removed in one big removal after which I had them forget they ever dealt with Lenny. The main archive is a different story. Due to its size I can t simply remove all files at once. This would break every mirror, as they don t delete too many files at once. For the official mirror scripts that magic number is 40000. Both, backports and security, had less than that for their lenny suites, but the main archive has somewhere around 195k files that need to go away. Slightly more than the limit. For that reason I set out to only delete parts of the files for each mirror push. Lucky our toolset supports this easily, I simply had to declare the lenny suites empty and let our clean-suite tool do its work. Worked flawlessly - if one considers 8 hour runtime to mark the files as delete-able no flaw. Took another two hours to actually delete the first 20000 files out of our pool. The next mirror push will thus delete every lenny related entry in our dists/ tree and some 20000 files out of pool. The following mirror pushes will continue deletion, in batches of 10000, until all of lenny is gone.

Next.