Search Results: "Debian Security Team"

1 September 2021

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in August 2021

Here s my (twenty-third) monthly but brief update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 32nd month of actively contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March 2019 and a DD on Christmas 19! \o/ Tough month but I mostly spent on it churning through the immense backlog. But that somewhat backfired and I have even more backlog than ever. :D Anyway, I did the following stuff in Debian:

Uploads and bug fixes:
  • ruby3.0 (3.0.0-2) - Upload to unstable! \o/

Other $things:
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.

Ubuntu
This was my 7th month of actively contributing to Ubuntu. Now that I ve joined Canonical to work on Ubuntu full-time, there s a bunch of things I do! \o/ I mostly worked on different things, I guess. But mostly on packaging keylime and some Google Agents upload(s) and SRU(s). Also did a lot of reviewing, et al. I was too lazy to maintain a list of things I worked on so there s no concrete list atm. Maybe I ll get back to this section later or will start to list stuff from next month onward, as I ve been doing before. :D

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my twenty-third month as a Debian LTS and eleventh month as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 23.75 hours for LTS and 40.00 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:
(however, I only worked for 23.75h on ELTS work, thereby, carrying the rest to next month)

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • Front-desk duty from 26-07 until 01-08 and from 30-08 until 05-09 for both LTS and ELTS.
  • Triaged haproxy, ntfs-3g, and cyrus-imapd, and exiv2, ffmpeg, git, gpac, inetutils, mc, modsecurity-crs, node-object-path, php-pear, systemd-cron, node-tar, ruby2.3, gst-plugins-bad0.10, jsoup, libxstream-java, qemu, tomcat7, ruby2.1, prototypejs, pillow, cpio, and qtbase-opensource-src, and amd64-microcode.
  • Mark CVE-2021-39240/haproxy as not-affected for stretch and jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-39241/haproxy as not-affected for stretch and jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-39242/haproxy as not-affected for stretch and jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-33582/cyrus-imapd as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2020-18771/exiv2 as no-dsa for exiv2 for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2020-18899/exiv2 as no-dsa for exiv2 for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-38171/ffmpeg as postponed for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-40330/git as no-dsa for stretch and jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2020-19481/gpac as ignored for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-40491/inetutils as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-36370/mc as no-dsa for stretch and jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-35368/modsecurity-crs as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-23434/node-object-path as end-of-life for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-32610/php-pear as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2017-9525/systemd-cron as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-37701/node-tar as end-of-life for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-37712/node-tar as end-of-life in stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-3750/qemu as postponsed for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-27511/prototypejs as postponsed for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-23437/pillow as postponed for stretch and jessie.
  • Auto EOL ed gpac, cacti, openscad, cgal, cyrus-imapd-2.4, libsolv, mosquitto, atomicparsley, gtkpod, node-tar, libapache2-mod-auth-openidc, neutron, inetutils and linux for jessie.
  • Drop cpio from ela-needed; open issues don t warrant an ELA.
  • Attended monthly Debian LTS meeting.
  • Answered questions (& discussions) on IRC (#debian-lts and #debian-elts).
  • General and other discussions on LTS private and public mailing list.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

5 June 2021

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in May 2021

Here s my (twentieth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 29th month of actively contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March 2019 and a DD on Christmas 19! \o/ Interesting month, surprisingly. Lots of things happening and lots of moving parts; becoming the new normal , I believe. Anyhow, working on Ubuntu full-time has its own advantage and one of them is being able to work on Debian stuff! So whilst I couldn t upload a lot of packages because of the freeze, here s what I worked on:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Mentoring for newcomers and assisting people in BSP.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.

Ubuntu
This was my 4th month of actively contributing to Ubuntu. Now that I ve joined Canonical to work on Ubuntu full-time, there s a bunch of things I do! \o/ This month, by all means, was dedicated mostly to PHP 8.0, transitioning from PHP 7.4 to 8.0. Naturally, it had so many moving parts and moments of utmost frustration, shared w/ Bryce. :D So even though I can t upload anything, I worked on the following stuff & asked for sponsorship.
But before, I d like to take a moment to stress how kind and awesome Gianfranco Costamagna, a.k.a. LocutusOfBorg is! He s been sponsoring a bunch of my things & helping with re-triggers, et al. Thanks a bunch, Gianfranco; beers on me whenever we meet!

Merges:

Uploads & Syncs:

MIRs:

Seed Operations:

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my twentieth month as a Debian LTS and eleventh month as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 29.75 hours for LTS and 40.00 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • Front-desk duty from 24-05 until 30-05 for both LTS and ELTS.
  • Triaged rails, libimage-exiftool-perl, hivex, graphviz, glibc, libexosip2, impacket, node-ws, thunar, libgrss, nginx, postgresql-9.6, ffmpeg, composter, and curl.
  • Mark CVE-2019-9904/graphviz as ignored for stretch and jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-32029/postgresql-9.6 as not-affected for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2020-24020/ffmpeg as not-affected for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2020-22020/ffmpeg as postponed for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2020-22015/ffmpeg as ignored for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2020-21041/ffmpeg as postponed for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-33574/glibc as no-dsa for stretch & jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-31800/impacket as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-32611/libexosip2 as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2016-20011/libgrss as ignored for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-32640/node-ws as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-32563/thunar as no-dsa for stretch.
  • [LTS] Help test and review bind9 update for Emilio.
  • [LTS] Suggest and add DEP8 tests for bind9 for stretch.
  • [LTS] Sponsored upload of htmldoc to buster for Havard as a consequence of #988289.
  • [ELTS] Fix triage order for jetty and graphviz.
  • [ELTS] Raise issue upstream about cloud-init; mock tests instead.
  • [ELTS] Write to private ELTS list about triage ordering.
  • [ELTS] Review Emilio s new script and write back feedback, mentioning extra file created, et al.
  • [ELTS/LTS] Raise upgrade problems from LTS -> LTS+1 to the list. Thread here.
    • Further help review and raise problems that could occur, et al.
  • [LTS] Help explain path forward for firmware-nonfree update to Ola. Thread here.
  • [ELTS] Revert entries of TEMP-0000000-16B7E7 and TEMP-0000000-1C4729; CVEs assigned & fix ELTS tracker build.
  • Auto EOL ed linux, libgrss, node-ws, and inspircd for jessie.
  • Attended monthly Debian LTS meeting, which didn t happen, heh.
  • Answered questions (& discussions) on IRC (#debian-lts and #debian-elts).
  • General and other discussions on LTS private and public mailing list.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

1 May 2021

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in April 2021

Here s my (nineteenth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 28th month of actively contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March 2019 and a DD on Christmas 19! \o/ Crazy month, as always. Lots of things happening and lots of moving parts.
Now that I am working on Ubuntu-full time, I barely get much time to do any extra stuff. Then the massive COVID wave that has plunged India had made this month further crazier. More on that later, maybe. IDK. Anyway, I did some Debian stuff, thanks to Salzburg BSP (more down below). I worked on the following stuff:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Mentoring for newcomers and assisting people in BSP.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.

Salzburg BSP 2021 This was my first virtual BSP and the first BSP in Salzburg and it was absolutely amazing!
Many kudos to Bernd Zeimetz for organizing it so smoothly and wonderfully, for real! \o/ We had a bunch of amazing sessions, besides hacking, of course, like:
  • yoga,
  • sports,
  • games, and
  • datacenter tour -> which was super!
We also had lots of things happening at #debian-bsp-2021-szg and did a lot of work.
Whilst everything we did is available on the pad, I work on the following things:
  • [deki/utkarsh]: CVE-2021-28421/fluidsynth (sid); cf: #987168/#987471.
  • [deki/utkarsh]: CVE-2021-28421/fluidsynth (buster); cf: #987168/#987494.
  • [utkarsh]: 18 CVEs for jackson-databind (buster); cf: #987489.
  • [utkarsh]: fix for ruby-librarian/#987113 (unblock request: #987501).
  • [utkarsh]: 17 CVEs for jackson-databind (stretch); LTS upload.
  • [utkarsh]: CVE-2020-12460/opendmarc (stretch); LTS upload.
  • [utkarsh]: CVE-2020-12460/opendmarc (buster); cf: #987531.
  • [deki/utkarsh]: libpam-alreadyloggedin, broken autopkgtest; #958224
  • [deki/utkarsh]: libpam-alreadyloggedin, installed in wrong directory; #986247
  • [deki/utkarsh]: libpam-alreadyloggedin, FTCBFS; #969122
  • [donfede/utkarsh] 10 CVEs for salt (buster)
  • [donfede/utkarsh] 10 CVEs for salt (bullseye)
And finally, we clicked a picture! \o/

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my nineteenth month as a Debian LTS and tenth month as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 60.00 hours for LTS and 60.00 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • Front-desk duty from 29-03 until 04-04 and then from 26-04 until 02-05 for both LTS and ELTS.
  • Triaged spamassassin, codemirror-js, jackson-databind, wordpress, gstreamer, underscore, python-bleach, plinth, libpano13, salt, dojo, ruby2.7, firefox-esr, clamav, composter, courier-authlib, opendmarc, openexr, libimage-exiftool-perl, tomcat7, libjs-handlebars, libnet-netmask-perl, network-manager, and curl.
  • Mark CVE-2021-20297/network-manager as not-affected for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-22890/curl as not-affected for jessie and stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2020-7760/codemirror-js as not-affected for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-25122/tomcat8 as not-affected for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-XXXX/plinth as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-29424/libnet-netmask-perl as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Mark CVE-2021-28374/courier-authlib as fixed in 0.58-3.1 for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-1252/clamav as not-affected for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-1404/clamav as not-affected for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2020-4051/dojo as no-dsa for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-29447/wordpress as not-affected for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-29450/wordpress as not-affected for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2019-20920/libjs-handlebars as ignored for stretch and jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-23369/libjs-handlebars as ignored for stretch and jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2020-4051/dojo as fixed in 1.15.4+dfsg1-1 for sid and bullseye.
  • Mark CVE-2021-28965/ruby2.7 fixed in 2.7.3-1 for sid.
  • Mark CVE-2020-12272/opendmarc as postponed for jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2021-20296, CVE-2021-3475, CVE-2021-3476, CVE-2021-3477, CVE-2021-3478, and CVE-2021-3479, affecting openexr, as no-dsa for jessie and stretch.
  • Suggest proposed fixes for CVE-2021-22876/curl on LTS public list.
  • Publish the missing DLA update for the website on behalf of the community contribution. Thread here.
  • Help suggest and unblock work if FD is missing or something. Thread here.
  • Suggest marking CVE-2021-23369/ node,libjs -handlebars as no-dsa/ignored for all suites. Thread here.
  • Help unblock Anton with the failed python2.7 build on i386 by coordinating with the sec team. Thread here.
  • Private ELTS-related discussion on the ELTS list (+ w/ Raphael).
  • Auto EOL ed webkit2gtk, python-bleach, tika, linux, ircii, spice-vdagent, libspring-security-2.0-java, file-roller, rustc, python-django-registration, gsoap, thunderbird, mosquitto, ruby-sidekiq, gnuchess, libpodofo, unbound, drupal7, 389-ds-base, and scrollz for jessie.
  • Answered questions (& discussions) on IRC (#debian-lts and #debian-elts).
  • General and other discussions on LTS private and public mailing list.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

1 April 2021

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in March 2021

Here s my (eighteenth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 27th month of active contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March 2019 and a DD on Christmas 19! \o/ This month was a bit exhausting; lots of moving parts. With the financial year ending, it was even more crazy, with me running around to banks, CA, et al.
Anyway, with now working on Ubuntu full-time, I did little of Debian this month. Here are the following things I worked on:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Attended the Debian LTS team meeting.
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my eighteenth month as a Debian LTS and ninth month as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 60.00 hours for LTS and 39.00 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • Front-desk duty from 01-03 until 07-03 for ELTS and then from 29-03 until 04-04 for both LTS and ELTS.
  • Triaged wpa, python-aiohttp, spip, wpa, qemu, tomcat7, tomcat8, grub2, mupdf, openssh, tiff, spice, pillow, xmlgraphics-commons, batik, libupnp, ca-certificates, salt, squid3, shibboleth-sp2, courier-authlib, cloud-init, spamassassin, openssl, libcaca, and openjpeg2.
  • Marked CVE-2021-21330/python-aiohttp as not-affected for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2021-20233, CVE-2021-20225, CVE-2020-27779, CVE-2020-27778, CVE-2020-27749, CVE-2020-27748, CVE-2020-25647, CVE-2020-25632, CVE-2020-25631, and CVE-2020-14372, affecting grub2, as ignored for stretch and jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-27842/openjpeg2 as no-dsa for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-27843/openjpeg2 as no-dsa for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2021-28041/openssh as not-affect for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-3552 3,4 /tiff as no-dsa for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2021-20201/spice as no-dsa for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-11988/xmlgraphics-commons as postponed for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-11987/batik as postponed for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-12695/libupnp as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2021-25122/tomcat7 as not-affected for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2021-25329/tomcat7 as ignored for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2021-28116/squid3 as postponed for stretch and jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2021-3449/openssl as not-affected for stretch.
  • Document extra notes for grub2 for LTS and co-ordinate with the sec-team.
  • Document extra notes for pillow about piled-up issues in jessie.
  • Issued DLA-2593-1 for ca-certificates on Microsoft s request; co-ordinating w/ them.
  • Co-ordinating w/ maintainer of courier-authlib for stretch and jessie update.
  • Fixing build failures of ELTS security tracker and re-ordering entries in data/CVE-EXTENDED-LTS/list file.
  • Answer queries of dupondje and mikap about openssl on IRC; and it being not-affected for stretch.
  • Help review the status of CVE-2021-3121/golang-github-gogo-protobuf-dev for Ola.
  • Co-ordinating w/ Noah for cloud-init and setuptools.
  • Auto EOL ed mongodb, linux, guacamole-client, node-xmlhttprequest, newlib, neutron, privoxy, glpi, and zabbix for jessie.
  • Attended monthly meeting for Debian LTS.
  • Answered questions (& discussions) on IRC (#debian-lts and #debian-elts).
  • General and other discussions on LTS private and public mailing list.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

1 March 2021

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in February 2021

Here s my (seventeenth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 26th month of active contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March 2019 and a DD on Christmas 19! \o/ This month was a nice mix of amusement, excitement, nervousness, and craziness. More on it below.
Anyway, whilst I was super-insanely busy this month, I still did some Debian stuff here and there. Here are the following things I worked on:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Attended the Debian LTS team meeting.
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.
  • Sponsored ruby-rspec-stubbed-env for C dric Boutillier, heh :P

Interesting Bits!
  • Last month, I wrote:
    Besides, there s something more that is in the pipelines. Can t talk about it now, shh. But hopefully very sooooooon!
    And now I can talk about it! So here it is..
    I ve joined Canonical as a SDE to work on Ubuntu, full time!!! \o/
    Fully remote + dream job/work + most of the work is in the open-source domain + the beessstttt co-workers one could ever ask for! It s been an amazing time so far and I ll talk more about it later this month.
    But for now, here s our team monitor selfie (with Rick missing because of his secret plan ! )

    We ll soon e-meet them in a more detailed manner in the next blog post, that is, later this month!
  • In another exciting news, I got 2 more CVEs assigned!!! \o/
    No, it is not something that I found, it was discovered by Tavis Ormandy. I just assigned them a CVE ID, CVE-2021-26937 for screen and CVE-2021-27135 for xterm.
    This is my 2nd and 3rd, so I am (still) very excited about this! ^_^

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my sixteenth month as a Debian LTS and seventh month as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 60.00 hours for LTS and 60.00 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:
(however, I had overworked for 9 hours for both, LTS and ELTS, last month so I had to work for 51 hours for both this month!)

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • Front-desk duty from 22-02 until 28-02 for both LTS and ELTS.
  • Triaged privoxy, dnsmasq, openldap, libzstd, ruby-mechanize, firefox-esr, thunderbird, screen, xterm, glibc, isync, rails, openscad, imagemagick, avahi, gdk-pixbuf, python-reportlab, python-aiohttp, spip, gdisk, and jasper.
  • Marked CVE-2021-20214/privoxy as not-affected for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2021-27645/glibc as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2021-20247/isync as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-28599/openscad as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Markec CVE-2021-2024 1,4-6 /imagemagick as ignored for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2021-26720/avahi as postponed for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2021-20240/gdk-pixbuf as not-affected for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2021-27645/glibc as no-dsa for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-28463/python-reportlab as postponed for jessie.
  • Document extra CVEs as notes for imagemagick in jessie.
  • Auto EOL ed libupnp, webkit2gtk, libraw, jackson-dataformat-cbor, node-lodash, linux, asterisk, yara, python-django, botan1.10, smarty3, xen, u-boot, steghide, mumble, gsoap, ruby-twitter-stream, isync, nodejs, openscad, mupdf, mongo-java-driver, firefox-esr, thunderbird, and salt for jessie.
  • Sponsored upload for php-horde-text-filter for Sylvain and published its DLA announcement.
  • Got CVE-2021-26937 for screen. Yay, this is the 2nd one I got assigned! \o/
  • Got CVE-2021-27135 for xterm. Woah, this is the 3rd one, am I on a roll or what? \o/
  • Co-ordinated with package maintainer (and upstream) of ca-certificates for backporting patch to stretch.
  • Co-ordinated with package maintainer of ca-certificates for backporting patch to stretch.
  • Co-ordinated with package maintainer of screen for fixing vulnerabilites in stretch.
  • Attended monthly meeting for Debian LTS.
  • Answered questions (& discussions) on IRC (#debian-lts and #debian-elts).
  • Cross-checked LTS survey results, emailed Ola about the problems found.
  • General and other discussions on LTS private and public mailing list.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

1 February 2021

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in January 2021

Here s my (sixteenth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 25th month of contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March 2019 and a DD on Christmas 19! \o/ This month was bat-shit crazy. Why? We ll come to it later, probably 15th of this month?
Anyway, besides being crazy, hectic, adventerous, and the first of 2021, this month I was super-insanely busy. With what? Hm, more about this later this month! ^_^ However, I still did some Debian stuff here and there. Here are the following things I worked on:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Attended the Debian Ruby team meeting.
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.
  • Sponsored golang-github-gorilla-css for Fedrico.

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my sixteenth month as a Debian LTS and seventh month as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 26.00 hours for LTS and 36.75 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:
(however, I worked extra for 9 hours for LTS and 9 hours for ELTS this month, which I intend to balance from the next month!)

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • Front-desk duty from 28-12 until 03-01 and from 25-01 until 31-01 for both LTS and ELTS.
  • Triaged dropbear, gst-plugins-bad1.0, phpmyadmin, qemu, firefox-esr, thunderbird, openldap, libdatetime-timezone-perl, tzdata, jasper, ckeditor, liblivemedia, wavpack, and ruby-redcarpet.
  • Marked CVE-2019-12953/dropbear as postponed for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2019-12953/dropbear as postponed for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2018-19841/wavpack as not-affected for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2019-1010315/wavpack as not-affected for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2019-1010317/wavpack as not-affected for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2021-21252/phpmyadmin as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2021-20196/qemu as postponed for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2021-21252/phpmyadmin as no-dsa for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2021-20196/qemu as postponed for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-11947/qemu as postponed for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2021-3326/glibc as no-dsa for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2021-3326/glibc as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-35517/qemu as not-affected instead of postponed for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2021-2627 1,2 /ckeditor as postponed for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-24027/liblivemedia as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2021-2627 1,2 /ckeditor as postponed for stretch.
  • Auto EOL ed csync2, firefox-esr, linux, thunderbird, collabtive, activemq, and xen for jessie.
  • Got my first ever CVE assigned - CVE-2021-3181 for mutt. Weeeehooooo! \o/
  • Attended the monthly LTS meeting. Logs here.
  • General discussion on LTS private and public mailing list.

Interesting Bits!
  • This January, on 23rd and 24th, we had Mini DebConf India 2021 online.
    I had a talk as well, titled, Why Point Releases are important and how you can help prepare them?". It was a fun and a very short talk, where I just list out the reasons and ways to help in the preparation of point releases . I did some experimentation with this talk, figuring out what works for the audience and what doesn t and where can I improve for the next time I talk about this topic! \o/
    You can listen to the talk here and let me know if you have any feedback! Anyway, the conference lasted for 2 days and I also did some volunteering (talk director, talk miester) in Hindi and English, both! It was all so fun and new. Anyway, here s the picture we took:
  • In another exciting news, I got my first CVE assigned!!! \o/
    No, it is not something that I found, it was discovered by Tavis Ormandy. I just assigned this a CVE ID, CVE-2021-3181.
    This is my first, so I am very excited about this! ^_^
  • Besides, there s something more that is in the pipelines. Can t talk about it now, shh. But hopefully very sooooooon!

Other $things! \o/ This month was tiresome, with most of the time being spent on the Debian stuff, I did very little work outside it, really. The issues and patches that I sent are:
  • Issue #700 for redcarpet, asking for a reproducer for CVE-2020-26298 and some additional patch related queries.
  • Issue #7 for in-parallel, asking them to not use relative paths for tests.
  • Issue #8 for in-parallel, reporting a test failure for the library.
  • Issue #2 for rake-ant, asking them to bump their dependencies to a newer version.
  • PR #3 for rake-ant, bumping the dependencies to a newer version, fixing the above issue, heh.
  • Issue #4 for rake-ant, requesting to drop git from their gemspec.
  • PR #5 for rake-ant, dropping git from gemspec, fixing the above issue, heh.
  • Issue #95 for WavPack, asking for a review of past security vulnerabilites wrt v4.70.0.
  • Reviewed PR #128 for ruby-openid, addressing the past regression with CVE fix merge.
  • Reviewed PR #63 for cocoapods-acknowledgements, updating redcarpet to v3.5.1, as a safety measure due to recently discovered vulnerability.
  • Issue #1331 for bottle, asking for relevant commits for CVE-2020-28473 and clarifying other things.
  • Issue #5 for em-redis, reporting test failures on IPv6-only build machines.
  • Issue #939 for eventmachine, reporting test failures for em-redis on IPv6-only build machines.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

1 January 2021

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in December 2020

Here s my (fifteenth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 24th month of contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March last year and a DD last Christmas! \o/ Amongs a lot of things, this was month was crazy, hectic, adventerous, and the last of 2020 more on some parts later this month.
I finally finished my 7th semester (FTW!) and moved onto my last one! That said, I had been busy with other things but still did a bunch of Debian stuff Here are the following things I did this month:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Attended the Debian Ruby team meeting.
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • FTP Trainee reviewing.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.
  • Sponsored golang-github-gorilla-css for Fedrico.

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my fifteenth month as a Debian LTS and sixth month as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 26.00 hours for LTS and 38.25 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:
  • Issued DLA 2474-1, fixing CVE-2020-28928, for musl.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 1.1.16-3+deb9u1.
  • Issued DLA 2481-1, fixing CVE-2020-25709 and CVE-2020-25710, for openldap.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 2.4.44+dfsg-5+deb9u6.
  • Issued DLA 2484-1, fixing #969126, for python-certbot.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 0.28.0-1~deb9u3.
  • Issued DLA 2487-1, fixing CVE-2020-27350, for apt.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 1.4.11. The update was prepared by the maintainer, Julian.
  • Issued DLA 2488-1, fixing CVE-2020-27351, for python-apt.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 1.4.2. The update was prepared by the maintainer, Julian.
  • Issued DLA 2495-1, fixing CVE-2020-17527, for tomcat8.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 8.5.54-0+deb9u5.
  • Issued DLA 2488-2, for python-apt.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 1.4.3. The update was prepared by the maintainer, Julian.
  • Issued DLA 2508-1, fixing CVE-2020-35730, for roundcube.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 1.2.3+dfsg.1-4+deb9u8. The update was prepared by the maintainer, Guilhem.

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • Front-desk duty from 21-12 until 27-12 and from 28-12 until 03-01 for both LTS and ELTS.
  • Triaged openldap, python-certbot, lemonldap-ng, qemu, gdm3, open-iscsi, gobby, jackson-databind, wavpack, cairo, nsd, tomcat8, and bountycastle.
  • Marked CVE-2020-17527/tomcat8 as not-affected for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-28052/bountycastle as not-affected for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-14394/qemu as postponed for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-35738/wavpack as not-affected for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-3550 3-6 /qemu as postponed for jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-3550 3-6 /qemu as postponed for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-16093/lemonldap-ng as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-27837/gdm3 as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020- 13987, 13988, 17437 /open-iscsi as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-35450/gobby as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-35728/jackson-databind as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-28935/nsd as no-dsa for stretch.
  • Auto EOL ed libpam-tacplus, open-iscsi, wireshark, gdm3, golang-go.crypto, jackson-databind, spotweb, python-autobahn, asterisk, nsd, ruby-nokogiri, linux, and motion for jessie.
  • General discussion on LTS private and public mailing list.

Other $things! \o/

Bugs and Patches Well, I did report some bugs and issues and also sent some patches:
  • Issue #44 for github-activity-readme, asking for a feature request to set custom committer s email address.
  • Issue #711 for git2go, reporting build failure for the library.
  • PR #89 for rubocop-rails_config, bumping RuboCop::Packaging to v0.5.
  • Issue #36 for rubocop-packaging, asking to try out mutant :)
  • PR #212 for cucumber-ruby-core, bumping RuboCop::Packaging to v0.5.
  • PR #213 for cucumber-ruby-core, enabling RuboCop::Packaging.
  • Issue #19 for behance, asking to relax constraints on faraday and faraday_middleware.
  • PR #37 for rubocop-packaging, enabling tests against ruby3.0! \o/
  • PR #489 for cucumber-rails, bumping RuboCop::Packaging to v0.5.
  • Issue #362 for nheko, reporting a crash when opening the application.
  • PR #1282 for paper_trail, adding RuboCop::Packaging amongst other used extensions.
  • Bug #978640 for nheko Debian package, reporting a crash, as a result of libfmt7 regression.

Misc and Fun Besides squashing bugs and submitting patches, I did some other things as well!
  • Participated in my first Advent of Code event! :)
    Whilst it was indeed fun, I didn t really complete it. No reason, really. But I ll definitely come back stronger next year, heh! :)
    All the solutions thus far could be found here.
  • Did a couple of reviews for some PRs and triaged some bugs here and there, meh.
  • Also did some cloud debugging, not so fun if you ask me, but cool enough to make me want to do it again! ^_^
  • Worked along with pollo, zigo, ehashman, rlb, et al for puppet and puppetserver in Debian. OMG, they re so lovely! <3
  • Ordered some interesting books to read January onward. New year resolution? Meh, not really. Or maybe. But nah.
  • Also did some interesting stuff this month but can t really talk about it now. Hopefully sooooon.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

14 December 2020

Rapha&#235;l Hertzog: Funding Debian development projects with Freexian, first project received!

After an unexpectedly short discussion on debian-project, we re moving forward with this new initiative. The Debian security team submitted a project proposal requesting some improvements to tracker.debian.org, and since nobody of the security team wants to be paid to implement the project, we have opened a request for bids to find someone to implement this on a contractor basis. If you can code in Python following test-driven development and know the Django framework, feel free to submit a bid! Ideally you have some experience with the security tracker too but that s not a strong requirement. About the project If you haven t read the discussion on debian-project, Freexian is putting aside part of the money collected for Debian LTS to use it to fund generic Debian development projects. The goal is two-fold:
  1. First, the LTS work necessarily had an impact on other Debian teams that made the project possible (security team, DSA, buildd, ftpmasters, debian-www mainly) and we wanted to be able to give back to those teams by funding improvements to their infrastructure.
  2. We have always allowed paid contributors to go beyond just preparing security updates for the LTS release. They can pick tasks that improve the LTS project at large (we try to collect such tasks here: https://salsa.debian.org/lts-team/lts-extra-tasks/-/issues) but they should not go over 25% of their allocated monthly hours so this limits their ability to tackle bigger projects and we would like to be able to tackle bigger projects that can have a meaningful impact on the LTS project and/or Debian in general.
We have tried to formalize a process to follow from project submission up to its implementation in this salsa project:
https://salsa.debian.org/freexian-team/project-funding
https://salsa.debian.org/freexian-team/project-funding/-/blob/master/Rules-LTS.md We highly encourage the above-mentioned Debian teams to make proposals. A member of those teams can implement the project and be paid for it. Or they can decide to let someone else implement it (we expect some of the paid LTS contributors to be willing to implement such projects), and just play the reviewer role driving the person doing the work in the right direction. Contrary to Google s Summer of code and other similar projects, we put the focus on the results (and not in recruiting new volunteers), so we expect to work with experienced persons to implement the project. But if the reviewer is happy to be a mentor and spend more time, then it s OK for us too. The reviewer is (usually) not a paid position. If you re not among those teams, but if you have a project that can have a positive impact on Debian LTS (even if only indirectly in the distant future), feel free to try your chance and to submit a proposal.

No comment Liked this article? Click here. My blog is Flattr-enabled.

1 December 2020

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in November 2020

Here s my (fourteenth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 23rd month of contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March last year and a DD last Christmas! \o/ Apart from doing a bunch of activities like attending KubeCon + RubyConf (blog to follow!), et al and simultaneously giving my undergrad exams, I did (relatively) more work than I had really anticipated! Here are the following things I did in Debian this month:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Attended the Debian Ruby team meeting.
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • FTP Trainee reviewing.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.
  • Sponsored phpmyadmin for William and libexif for Hugh.

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my fourteenth month as a Debian LTS and fourth month as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 22.75 hours for LTS and 45.00 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:
(for ELTS, I worked for 5.25 hours last month, so I had to work for 39.75 (+1 extra) hours this month)
(also, I did over-work by 5.00 hours for LTS this month, but I ll re-compensate it later to avoid so much fuss!)

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:
  • Issued ELA 306-1, fixing CVE-2020-25692, for openldap.
    For Debian 8 Jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 2.4.40+dfsg-1+deb8u7.
  • Issued ELA 310-1, fixing CVE-2020-0452, for libexif.
    For Debian 8 Jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 0.6.21-2+deb8u5.
  • Issued ELA 311-1, fixing CVE-2020-8037, for tcpdump.
    For Debian 8 Jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 4.9.3-1~deb8u2.
  • Issued ELA 312-1, backporting a new upstream release, 2020d, for tzdata.
    For Debian 8 Jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 2020d-0+deb8u1.
  • Issued ELA 313-1, fixing CVE-2020-15166, for zeromq3.
    For Debian 8 Jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 4.0.5+dfsg-2+deb8u3.
  • Prepared a debdiff for lxml (3.4.0-1+deb8u2) upload, which Emilio completed and rolled out later.

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • Front-desk duty from 26-10 until 01-10 and from 23-11 until 29-11 for both LTS and ELTS.
  • Triaged openldap, python-cryptography, motion, nvidia-cuda-toolkit, samba, lxml, highlight.js, imagemagick, mongodb, poppler, wordpress, raptor2, and blueman.
  • Marked CVE-2020-25659/python-cryptography as no-dsa for Stretch and Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-25713/raptor2 as postponed for Stretch and Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-27778/poppler as postponed for Stretch and Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-5991/nvidia-cuda-toolkit as ignored for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-26566/motion as not-affected for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-26237/highlight.js as postponed for Jessie.
  • Auto EOL ed libpam-tacplus, motion, blueman, openrc, webcit, wordpress, linux, nvidia-cuda-toolkit, spip, and wireshark for Jessie.
  • Attended the sevent LTS meeting. Logs here.
  • General discussion on LTS private and public mailing list.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

1 November 2020

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in October 2020

Here s my (thirteenth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 22nd month of contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March last year and a DD last Christmas! \o/ Whilst busy with my undergrad, I could still take some time out for contributing to Debian (I always do!). Here are the following things I did in Debian this month:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Attended the Debian Ruby team meeting. Logs here.
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • FTP Trainee reviewing.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.
  • Sponsored phpmyadmin, php-bacon-baconqrcode, twig, php-dasprid-enum, sql-parser, and mariadb-mysql-kbs for William.

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my thirteenth month as a Debian LTS and fourth month as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 20.75 hours for LTS and 30.00 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:
(for ELTS, I worked for 5.25 hours extra, so my total hours this month for ELTS were 35.25!)

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:
  • Issued DLA 2389-1, fixing CVE-2019-18978, for ruby-rack-cors.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 0.4.0-1+deb9u2.
  • Issued DLA 2390-1, fixing CVE-2019-18848, for ruby-json-jwt.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 1.6.2-1+deb9u2.
  • Issued DLA 2391-1, fixing CVE-2020-25613, for ruby2.3.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 2.3.3-1+deb9u9.
  • Issued DLA 2392-1, fixing CVE-2020-25613, for jruby.
    For Debian 9 Stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 1.7.26-1+deb9u3.
  • Uploaded ruby2.5 to buster, fixing CVE-2020-25613. For Debian 10 Buster, these problems have been fixed in version 2.5.5-3+deb10u3.
  • Uploaded ruby2.7 to unstable, fixing CVE-2020-25613. For Debian Sid, these problems have been fixed in version 2.7.1-4.
  • Uploaded rails to unstable, fixing CVE-2020-8264. For Debian Sid, these problems have been fixed in version 2:6.0.3.4+dfsg-1.

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • Front-desk duty from 28-09 to 04-10 and from 26-10 until 01-10 for both LTS and ELTS.
  • Triaged libproxy, libvirt, libonig, ant, erlang, ruby2.3, jruby, dpdk, php7.0, spice, spice-gtk, wireshark, djangorestframework, python-urllib3, python-cryptography, qtsvg-opensource-src, and open-build-service.
  • Marked CVE-2020-26137/python-urllib3 as no-dsa for Stretch and Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-1437 4,5,6,7,8 /dpdk as no-dsa for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-2586 2,3 /wireshark as postponed for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-25626/djangorestframework as no-dsa for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-11979/ant as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-25623/erlang as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-25659/python-cryptography as no-dsa for Stretch and Jessie.
  • Auto EOL ed jruby, libjs-handlebars, linux, pluxml, mupdf, and djangorestframework for Jessie.
  • [E/LTS] Worked on putting survey online, deployed LTS Team Pages \o/
  • [ELTS] Fix suite-name in ela-needed file and fix other tags and ordering of triages to fix errors in the security tracker.
  • [LTS] Sent out invitations for the meeting.
  • Attended the sixth private LTS meeting.
  • General discussion on LTS private and public mailing list.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

30 September 2020

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in September 2020

Here s my (twelfth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 21st month of contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March last year and a DD last Christmas! \o/ I ve been busy with my undergraduation stuff but I still squeezed out some time for the regular Debian work. Here are the following things I did in Debian this month:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Attended the Debian Ruby team meeting. Logs here.
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • FTP Trainee reviewing.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.
  • Sponsored trace-cmd for Sudip, ruby-asset-sync for Nilesh, and mariadb-mysql-kbs for William.

RuboCop::Packaging - Helping the Debian Ruby team! \o/ This Google Summer of Code, I worked on writing a linter that could flag offenses for lines of code that are very troublesome for Debian maintainers while trying to package and maintain Ruby libraries and applications! Whilst the GSoC period is over, I ve been working on improving that tool and have extended that linter to now auto-correct these offenses by itself! \o/
You can now just use the -A flag and you re done! Boom! The ultimate game-changer! Here s a quick demo for this feature: A few quick updates on RuboCop::Packaging: I ve also spent a considerable amount of time in raising awareness about this and in more general sense, about downstream maintenance.
As a result, I raised a bunch of PRs which got really good response. I got all of the 20 PRs merged upstream, fixing these issues.

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my twelfth month as a Debian LTS and third month as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 19.75 hours for LTS and 15.00 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:
(for LTS, I over-worked for 11 hours last month on the survey so only had 8.75 hours this month!)

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:
  • Issued ELA 274-1, fixing CVE-2020-11984, for uwsgi.
    For Debian 8 Jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 2.0.7-1+deb8u3.
  • Issued ELA 275-1, fixing CVE-2020-14363, for libx11.
    For Debian 8 Jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 2:1.6.2-3+deb8u4.
  • Issued ELA 278-1, fixing CVE-2020-8184, for ruby-rack.
    For Debian 8 Jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 1.5.2-3+deb8u4.
  • Also worked on updating the version of clamAV from v0.101.5 to v0.102.4.
    This was a bit tricky package to work on since it involved an ABI/API change and was more or less a transition. Super thanks to Emilio for his invaluable help and him taking over the package, finishing, and uploading it in the end.

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • Front-desk duty from 31-08 to 06-09 and from 28-09 onward for both LTS and ELTS.
  • Triaged apache2, cryptsetup, nasm, node-bl, plinth, qemu, rsync, ruby-doorkeeper, and uwsgi.
  • Marked CVE-2020-15094/symfony as not-affected for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020- 9490,11993 /apache2 as ignored for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-8244/node-bl as no-dsa for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-24978/nasm as no-dsa for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-25073/plinth as no-dsa for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-15094/symfony as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-14382/cryptsetup as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-14387/rsync as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Auto EOL ed ark, collabtive, linux, nasm, node-bl, and thunderbird for Jessie.
  • Use mktemp instead of tempfile in bin/auto-add-end-of-life.sh.
  • Attended the fifth LTS meeting. Logs here.
  • General discussion on LTS private and public mailing list.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

9 September 2020

Reproducible Builds: Reproducible Builds in August 2020

Welcome to the August 2020 report from the Reproducible Builds project. In our monthly reports, we summarise the things that we have been up to over the past month. The motivation behind the Reproducible Builds effort is to ensure no flaws have been introduced from the original free software source code to the pre-compiled binaries we install on our systems. If you re interested in contributing to the project, please visit our main website.


This month, Jennifer Helsby launched a new reproduciblewheels.com website to address the lack of reproducibility of Python wheels. To quote Jennifer s accompanying explanatory blog post:
One hiccup we ve encountered in SecureDrop development is that not all Python wheels can be built reproducibly. We ship multiple (Python) projects in Debian packages, with Python dependencies included in those packages as wheels. In order for our Debian packages to be reproducible, we need that wheel build process to also be reproducible
Parallel to this, transparencylog.com was also launched, a service that verifies the contents of URLs against a publicly recorded cryptographic log. It keeps an append-only log of the cryptographic digests of all URLs it has seen. (GitHub repo) On 18th September, Bernhard M. Wiedemann will give a presentation in German, titled Wie reproducible builds Software sicherer machen ( How reproducible builds make software more secure ) at the Internet Security Digital Days 2020 conference.

Reproducible builds at DebConf20 There were a number of talks at the recent online-only DebConf20 conference on the topic of reproducible builds. Holger gave a talk titled Reproducing Bullseye in practice , focusing on independently verifying that the binaries distributed from ftp.debian.org are made from their claimed sources. It also served as a general update on the status of reproducible builds within Debian. The video (145 MB) and slides are available. There were also a number of other talks that involved Reproducible Builds too. For example, the Malayalam language mini-conference had a talk titled , ? ( I want to join Debian, what should I do? ) presented by Praveen Arimbrathodiyil, the Clojure Packaging Team BoF session led by Elana Hashman, as well as Where is Salsa CI right now? that was on the topic of Salsa, the collaborative development server that Debian uses to provide the necessary tools for package maintainers, packaging teams and so on. Jonathan Bustillos (Jathan) also gave a talk in Spanish titled Un camino verificable desde el origen hasta el binario ( A verifiable path from source to binary ). (Video, 88MB)

Development work After many years of development work, the compiler for the Rust programming language now generates reproducible binary code. This generated some general discussion on Reddit on the topic of reproducibility in general. Paul Spooren posted a request for comments to OpenWrt s openwrt-devel mailing list asking for clarification on when to raise the PKG_RELEASE identifier of a package. This is needed in order to successfully perform rebuilds in a reproducible builds context. In openSUSE, Bernhard M. Wiedemann published his monthly Reproducible Builds status update. Chris Lamb provided some comments and pointers on an upstream issue regarding the reproducibility of a Snap / SquashFS archive file. [ ]

Debian Holger Levsen identified that a large number of Debian .buildinfo build certificates have been tainted on the official Debian build servers, as these environments have files underneath the /usr/local/sbin directory [ ]. He also filed against bug for debrebuild after spotting that it can fail to download packages from snapshot.debian.org [ ]. This month, several issues were uncovered (or assisted) due to the efforts of reproducible builds. For instance, Debian bug #968710 was filed by Simon McVittie, which describes a problem with detached debug symbol files (required to generate a traceback) that is unlikely to have been discovered without reproducible builds. In addition, Jelmer Vernooij called attention that the new Debian Janitor tool is using the property of reproducibility (as well as diffoscope when applying archive-wide changes to Debian:
New merge proposals also include a link to the diffoscope diff between a vanilla build and the build with changes. Unfortunately these can be a bit noisy for packages that are not reproducible yet, due to the difference in build environment between the two builds. [ ]
56 reviews of Debian packages were added, 38 were updated and 24 were removed this month adding to our knowledge about identified issues. Specifically, Chris Lamb added and categorised the nondeterministic_version_generated_by_python_param and the lessc_nondeterministic_keys toolchain issues. [ ][ ] Holger Levsen sponsored Lukas Puehringer s upload of the python-securesystemslib pacage, which is a dependency of in-toto, a framework to secure the integrity of software supply chains. [ ] Lastly, Chris Lamb further refined his merge request against the debian-installer component to allow all arguments from sources.list files (such as [check-valid-until=no]) in order that we can test the reproducibility of the installer images on the Reproducible Builds own testing infrastructure and sent a ping to the team that maintains that code.

Upstream patches The Reproducible Builds project detects, dissects and attempts to fix as many currently-unreproducible packages as possible. We endeavour to send all of our patches upstream where appropriate. This month, we wrote a large number of these patches, including:

diffoscope diffoscope is our in-depth and content-aware diff utility that can not only locate and diagnose reproducibility issues, it provides human-readable diffs of all kinds. In August, Chris Lamb made the following changes to diffoscope, including preparing and uploading versions 155, 156, 157 and 158 to Debian:
  • New features:
    • Support extracting data of PGP signed data. (#214)
    • Try files named .pgp against pgpdump(1) to determine whether they are Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) files. (#211)
    • Support multiple options for all file extension matching. [ ]
  • Bug fixes:
    • Don t raise an exception when we encounter XML files with <!ENTITY> declarations inside the Document Type Definition (DTD), or when a DTD or entity references an external resource. (#212)
    • pgpdump(1) can successfully parse some binary files, so check that the parsed output contains something sensible before accepting it. [ ]
    • Temporarily drop gnumeric from the Debian build-dependencies as it has been removed from the testing distribution. (#968742)
    • Correctly use fallback_recognises to prevent matching .xsb binary XML files.
    • Correct identify signed PGP files as file(1) returns data . (#211)
  • Logging improvements:
    • Emit a message when ppudump version does not match our file header. [ ]
    • Don t use Python s repr(object) output in Calling external command messages. [ ]
    • Include the filename in the not identified by any comparator message. [ ]
  • Codebase improvements:
    • Bump Python requirement from 3.6 to 3.7. Most distributions are either shipping with Python 3.5 or 3.7, so supporting 3.6 is not only somewhat unnecessary but also cumbersome to test locally. [ ]
    • Drop some unused imports [ ], drop an unnecessary dictionary comprehensions [ ] and some unnecessary control flow [ ].
    • Correct typo of output in a comment. [ ]
  • Release process:
    • Move generation of debian/tests/control to an external script. [ ]
    • Add some URLs for the site that will appear on PyPI.org. [ ]
    • Update author and author email in setup.py for PyPI.org and similar. [ ]
  • Testsuite improvements:
    • Update PPU tests for compatibility with Free Pascal versions 3.2.0 or greater. (#968124)
    • Mark that our identification test for .ppu files requires ppudump version 3.2.0 or higher. [ ]
    • Add an assert_diff helper that loads and compares a fixture output. [ ][ ][ ][ ]
  • Misc:
In addition, Mattia Rizzolo documented in setup.py that diffoscope works with Python version 3.8 [ ] and Frazer Clews applied some Pylint suggestions [ ] and removed some deprecated methods [ ].

Website This month, Chris Lamb updated the main Reproducible Builds website and documentation to:
  • Clarify & fix a few entries on the who page [ ][ ] and ensure that images do not get to large on some viewports [ ].
  • Clarify use of a pronoun re. Conservancy. [ ]
  • Use View all our monthly reports over View all monthly reports . [ ]
  • Move a is a suffix out of the link target on the SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH age. [ ]
In addition, Javier Jard n added the freedesktop-sdk project [ ] and Kushal Das added SecureDrop project [ ] to our projects page. Lastly, Michael P hn added internationalisation and translation support with help from Hans-Christoph Steiner [ ].

Testing framework The Reproducible Builds project operate a Jenkins-based testing framework to power tests.reproducible-builds.org. This month, Holger Levsen made the following changes:
  • System health checks:
    • Improve explanation how the status and scores are calculated. [ ][ ]
    • Update and condense view of detected issues. [ ][ ]
    • Query the canonical configuration file to determine whether a job is disabled instead of duplicating/hardcoding this. [ ]
    • Detect several problems when updating the status of reporting-oriented metapackage sets. [ ]
    • Detect when diffoscope is not installable [ ] and failures in DNS resolution [ ].
  • Debian:
    • Update the URL to the Debian security team bug tracker s Git repository. [ ]
    • Reschedule the unstable and bullseye distributions often for the arm64 architecture. [ ]
    • Schedule buster less often for armhf. [ ][ ][ ]
    • Force the build of certain packages in the work-in-progress package rebuilder. [ ][ ]
    • Only update the stretch and buster base build images when necessary. [ ]
  • Other distributions:
    • For F-Droid, trigger jobs by commits, not by a timer. [ ]
    • Disable the Archlinux HTML page generation job as it has never worked. [ ]
    • Disable the alternative OpenWrt rebuilder jobs. [ ]
  • Misc;
Many other changes were made too, including:
  • Chris Lamb:
    • Use <pre> HTML tags when dumping fixed-width debugging data in the self-serve package scheduler. [ ]
  • Mattia Rizzolo:
  • Vagrant Cascadian:
    • Mark that the u-boot Universal Boot Loader should not build architecture independent packages on the arm64 architecture anymore. [ ]
Finally, build node maintenance was performed by Holger Levsen [ ], Mattia Rizzolo [ ][ ] and Vagrant Cascadian [ ][ ][ ][ ]

Mailing list On our mailing list this month, Leo Wandersleb sent a message to the list after he was wondering how to expand his WalletScrutiny.com project (which aims to improve the security of Bitcoin wallets) from Android wallets to also monitor Linux wallets as well:
If you think you know how to spread the word about reproducibility in the context of Bitcoin wallets through WalletScrutiny, your contributions are highly welcome on this PR [ ]
Julien Lepiller posted to the list linking to a blog post by Tavis Ormandy titled You don t need reproducible builds. Morten Linderud (foxboron) responded with a clear rebuttal that Tavis was only considering the narrow use-case of proprietary vendors and closed-source software. He additionally noted that the criticism that reproducible builds cannot prevent against backdoors being deliberately introduced into the upstream source ( bugdoors ) are decidedly (and deliberately) outside the scope of reproducible builds to begin with. Chris Lamb included the Reproducible Builds mailing list in a wider discussion regarding a tentative proposal to include .buildinfo files in .deb packages, adding his remarks regarding requiring a custom tool in order to determine whether generated build artifacts are identical in a reproducible context. [ ] Jonathan Bustillos (Jathan) posted a quick email to the list requesting whether there was a list of To do tasks in Reproducible Builds. Lastly, Chris Lamb responded at length to a query regarding the status of reproducible builds for Debian ISO or installation images. He noted that most of the technical work has been performed but there are at least four issues until they can be generally advertised as such . He pointed that the privacy-oriented Tails operation system, which is based directly on Debian, has had reproducible builds for a number of years now. [ ]

If you are interested in contributing to the Reproducible Builds project, please visit our Contribute page on our website. However, you can get in touch with us via:

1 September 2020

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in August 2020

Here s my (eleventh) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 20th month of contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March last year and a DD last Christmas! \o/ Well, this month we had DebConf! \o/
(more about this later this week!) Anyway, here are the following things I did in Debian this month:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • FTP Trainee reviewing.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.
  • Sponsored php-dasprid-enum and php-bacon-baconqrcode for William and ruby-unparser, ruby-morpher, and ruby-path-exapander for Cocoa.

Goodbye GSoC! \o/ In May, I got selected as a Google Summer of Code student for Debian again! \o/
I am working on the Upstream-Downstream Cooperation in Ruby project. The other 5 blogs can be found here: Also, I log daily updates at gsocwithutkarsh2102.tk. Since this is a wrap and whilst the daily updates are already available at the above site^, I ll quickly mention the important points and links here.

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my eleventh month as a Debian LTS and my second as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 21.75 hours for LTS and 14.25 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:
  • Issued ELA 255-1, fixing CVE-2020-14344, for libx11.
    For Debian 8 Jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 2:1.6.2-3+deb8u3.
  • Issued ELA 259-1, fixing CVE-2020-10177, for pillow.
    For Debian 8 Jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 2.6.1-2+deb8u5.
  • Issued ELA 269-1, fixing CVE-2020-11985, for apache2.
    For Debian 8 Jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 2.4.10-10+deb8u17.
  • Started working on clamAV update, it s a major bump from v0.101.5 to v0.102.4. There were lots of movings parts. Contacted upstream maintainers to help reduce the risk of regression. Came up with a patch to loosen the libcurl version requirement. Hopefully, the update could be rolled out soon!

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • I spent an additional 11.15 hours working on compiling the responses of the LTS survey and preparing a gist of it for its presentation during the Debian LTS BoF at DebConf20.
  • Triaged qemu, pillow, gupnp, clamav, apache2, and uwsgi.
  • Marked CVE-2020-11538/pillow as not-affected for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-11984/apache2 as not-affected for Stretch.
  • Marked CVE-2020-10378/pillow as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-11538/pillow as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-3481/clamav as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020-11984/apache2 as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Marked CVE-2020- 9490,11993 /apache2 as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Hosted Debian LTS BoF at DebConf20. Recording here.
  • General discussion on LTS private and public mailing list.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

Sylvain Beucler: Debian LTS and ELTS - August 2020

Debian LTS Logo Here is my transparent report for my work on the Debian Long Term Support (LTS) and Debian Extended Long Term Support (ELTS), which extend the security support for past Debian releases, as a paid contributor. In August, the monthly sponsored hours were split evenly among contributors depending on their max availability - I was assigned 21.75h for LTS (out of my 30 max; all done) and 14.25h for ELTS (out of my 20 max; all done). We had a Birds of a Feather videoconf session at DebConf20, sadly with varying quality for participants (from very good to unusable), where we shared the first results of the LTS survey. There were also discussions about evaluating our security reactivity, which proved surprisingly hard to estimate (neither CVE release date and criticality metrics are accurate nor easily available), and about when it is appropriate to use public naming in procedures. Interestingly ELTS gained new supported packages, thanks to a new sponsor -- so far I'd seen the opposite, because we were close to the EOL. As always, there were opportunities to de-dup work through mutual cooperation with the Debian Security team, and LTS/ELTS similar updates. ELTS - Jessie LTS - Stretch Documentation/Scripts

1 August 2020

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in July 2020

Here s my (tenth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 17th month of contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March last year and a DD last Christmas! \o/ Well, this month I didn t do a lot of Debian stuff, like I usually do, however, I did a lot of things related to Debian (indirectly via GSoC)! Anyway, here are the following things I did this month:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • FTP Trainee reviewing.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.
  • Sponsored php-twig for William, ruby-growl, ruby-xmpp4r, and uby-uniform-notifier for Cocoa, sup-mail for Iain, and node-markdown-it for Sakshi.

GSoC Phase 2, Part 2! In May, I got selected as a Google Summer of Code student for Debian again! \o/
I am working on the Upstream-Downstream Cooperation in Ruby project. The first three blogs can be found here: Also, I log daily updates at gsocwithutkarsh2102.tk. Whilst the daily updates are available at the above site^, I ll breakdown the important parts of the later half of the second month here:
  • Marc Andre, very kindly, helped in fixing the specs that were failing earlier this month. Well, the problem was with the specs, but I am still confused how so. Anyway..
  • Finished documentation of the second cop and marked the PR as ready to be reviewed.
  • David reviewed and suggested some really good changes and I fixed/tweaked that PR as per his suggestion to finally finish the last bits of the second cop, RelativeRequireToLib.
  • Merged the PR upon two approvals and released it as v0.2.0!
  • We had our next weekly meeting where we discussed the next steps and the things that are supposed to be done for the next set of cops.
  • Introduced rubocop-packaging to the outer world and requested other upstream projects to use it! It is being used by 13 other projects already!
  • Started to work on packaging-style-guide but I didn t push anything to the public repository yet.
  • Worked on refactoring the cops_documentation Rake task which was broken by the new auto-corrector API. Opened PR #7 for it. It ll be merged after the next RuboCop release as it uses CopsDocumentationGenerator class from the master branch.
  • Whilst working on autoprefixer-rails, I found something unusual. The second cop shouldn t really report offenses if the require_relative calls are from lib to lib itself. This is a false-positive. Opened issue #8 for the same.

Debian (E)LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support). This was my tenth month as a Debian LTS and my first as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I was assigned 25.25 hours for LTS and 13.25 hours for ELTS and worked on the following things:

LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other (E)LTS Work:
  • Did my LTS frontdesk duty from 29th June to 5th July.
  • Triaged qemu, firefox-esr, wordpress, libmediainfo, squirrelmail, xen, openjpeg2, samba, and ldb.
  • Mark CVE-2020-15395/libmediainfo as no-dsa for Jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2020-13754/qemu as no-dsa/intrusive for Stretch and Jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2020-12829/qemu as no-dsa for Jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2020-10756/qemu as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2020-13253/qemu as postponed for Jessie.
  • Drop squirrelmail and xen for Stretch LTS.
  • Add notes for tomcat8, shiro, and cacti to take care of the Stretch issues.
  • Emailed team@security.d.o and debian-lts@l.d.o regarding possible clashes.
  • Maintenance of LTS Survey on the self-hosted LimeSurvey instance. Received 1765 (just wow!) responses.
  • Attended the fourth LTS meeting. MOM here.
  • General discussion on LTS private and public mailing list.

Other(s)
Sometimes it gets hard to categorize work/things into a particular category.
That s why I am writing all of those things inside this category.
This includes two sub-categories and they are as follows.

Personal: This month I did the following things:
  • Released v0.2.0 of rubocop-packaging on RubyGems!
    It s open-sourced and the repository is here.
    Bug reports and pull requests are welcomed!
  • Released v0.1.0 of get_root on RubyGems!
    It s open-sourced and the repository is here.
  • Wrote max-word-frequency, my Rails C1M2 programming assignment.
    And made it pretty neater & cleaner!
  • Refactored my lts-dla and elts-ela scripts entirely and wrote them in Ruby so that there are no issues and no false-positives!
    Check lts-dla here and elts-ela here.
  • And finally, built my first Rails (mini) web-application!
    The repository is here. This was also a programming assignment (C1M3).
    And furthermore, hosted it at Heroku.

Open Source: Again, this contains all the things that I couldn t categorize earlier.
Opened several issues and PRs:
  • Issue #8273 against rubocop, reporting a false-positive auto-correct for Style/WhileUntilModifier.
  • Issue #615 against http reporting a weird behavior of a flaky test.
  • PR #3791 for rubygems/bundler to remove redundant bundler/setup require call from spec_helper generated by bundle gem.
  • Issue #3831 against rubygems, reporting a traceback of undefined method, rubyforge_project=.
  • Issue #238 against nheko asking for enhancement in showing the font name in the very font itself.
  • PR #2307 for puma to constrain rake-compiler to v0.9.4.
  • And finally, I joined the Cucumber organization! \o/

Thank you for sticking along for so long :) Until next time.
:wq for today.

1 July 2020

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in June 2020

Here s my (ninth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This was my 16th month of contributing to Debian. I became a DM in late March last year and a DD last Christmas! \o/ This month was a little intense. I did a lot of different kinds of things in Debian this month. Whilst most of my time went on doing security stuff, I also sponsored a bunch of packages. Here are the following things I did this month:

Uploads and bug fixes:

Other $things:
  • Hosted Ruby team meeting. Logs here.
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • FTP Trainee reviewing.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.
  • Sponsored ruby-ast for Abraham, libexif for Hugh, djangorestframework-gis and karlseguin-ccache for Nilesh, and twig-extensions, twig-i18n-extension, and mariadb-mysql-kbs for William.

GSoC Phase 1, Part 2! Last month, I got selected as a Google Summer of Code student for Debian again! \o/
I am working on the Upstream-Downstream Cooperation in Ruby project. The first half of the first month is blogged here, titled, GSoC Phase 1.
Also, I log daily updates at gsocwithutkarsh2102.tk. Whilst the daily updates are available at the above site^, I ll breakdown the important parts of the later half of the first month here:
  • Documented the first cop, GemspecGit via PR #2.
  • Made an initial release, v0.1.0!
  • Spread the word/usage about this tool/library via adding them in the official RuboCop docs.
  • We had our third weekly meeting where we discussed the next steps and the things that are supposed to be done for the next set of cops.
  • Wrote more tests so as to cover different aspects of the GemspecGit cop.
  • Opened PR #4 for the next Cop, RequireRelativeToLib.
  • Introduced rubocop-packaging to the outer world and requested other upstream projects to use it! It is being used by 6 other projects already
  • Had our fourth weekly meeting where we pair-programmed (and I sucked :P) and figured out a way to make the second cop work.
  • Found a bug, reported at issue #5 and raised PR #6 to fix it.
  • And finally, people loved the library/tool (and it s outcome):



    (for those who don t know, @bbatsov is the author of RuboCop, @lienvdsteen is an amazing fullstack engineer at GitLab, and @pboling is the author of some awesome Ruby tools and libraries!)

Debian LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. This was my ninth month as a Debian LTS paid contributor. I was assigned 30.00 hours and worked on the following things:

CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other LTS Work:
  • Triaged sympa, apache2, qemu, and coturn.
  • Add fix for CVE-2020-0198/libexif.
  • Requested CVE for bug#60251 against apache2 and prodded further.
  • Raised issue #947 against sympa reporting an incomplete patch for CVE-2020-10936. More discussions internally.
  • Created the LTS Survey on the self-hosted LimeSurvey instance.
  • Attended the third LTS meeting. Logs here.
  • General discussion on LTS private and public mailing list.

Other(s)
Sometimes it gets hard to categorize work/things into a particular category.
That s why I am writing all of those things inside this category.
This includes two sub-categories and they are as follows.

Personal: This month I did the following things:
  • Wrote and published v0.1.0 of rubocop-packaging on RubyGems!
    It s open-sourced and the repository is here.
    Bug reports and pull requests are welcomed!
  • Integrated a tiny (yet a powerful) hack to align images in markdown for my blog.
    Commit here.
  • Released v0.4.0 of batalert on RubyGems!

Open Source: Again, this contains all the things that I couldn t categorize earlier.
Opened several issues and PRs:
Thank you for sticking along for so long :) Until next time.
:wq for today.

1 June 2020

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in May 2020

Here s my (eighth) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
This month marks my 15 months of contributing to Debian. And 6th month as a DD! \o/ Whilst I love doing Debian stuff, I have started spending more time on the programming side now. And I hope to keep it this for some time now.
Of course, I ll keep doing the Debian stuff, but just lesser in amount. Anyway, the following are the things I did in May.

Uploads:

Other $things:
  • Hosted Ruby team meeting. Logs here.
  • Attended Debian Perl Sprints. Report here.
  • Sponsored git-repo-updater and mplcursors for Sudip.
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • FTP Trainee reviewing.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.
  • Got selected for GSoC 20 for Debian!

Experimenting and improving Ruby libraries FTW!
I have been very heavily involved with the Debian Ruby team for over an year now.
Thanks to Antonio Terceiro (and GSoC), I ve started experimenting and taking more interest in upstream development and improvement of these libraries. This has the sole purpose of learning. It has gotten fun since I ve started doing Ruby.
And I hope it stays this way. This month, I opened some issues and proposed a few pull requests. They are:
  • Issue #802 against whenever for Ruby2.7 test failures.
  • Issue #8 against aggregate asking upstream for a release on rubygems.
  • Issue #104 against irb for asking more about Array.join("\n").
  • Issue #1391 against mail asking upstream to cut a new release.
  • Issue #1655 against rack reporting test failures in the CVE fix.
  • Issue #84 against ruby-dbus for help with Debian bug #836296.
  • Issue #85 against ruby-dbus asking if they still use rDoc for doc generation.
  • PR #9 against aggregate for dropping git from gemspec.
  • PR #804 against whenever for dropping git from gemspec.
  • Packaged ruby-cmath as it was split from Ruby2.7; cf: (#961213).

Debian LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success. This was my eighth month as a Debian LTS paid contributor. I was assigned 17.25 hours and worked on the following things:

CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other LTS Work:
  • Triaged tika, freerdp, and apache2.
  • Mark CVE-2020-12105/openconnect as no-dsa not-affected for Jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2020-9489/tika as no-dsa ignored for Jessie.
  • Mark CVE-2020-11025/wordpres as not-affected for Jessie.
  • Add fix for Add fix for CVE-2019-18823/condor.
  • Requested CVE for bug#60251 against apache2.
  • Raised issue #947 against sympa reporting an incomplete patch for CVE-2020-10936.
  • Created the LTS Survey on the self-hosted LimeSurvey instance.
  • Attended the second LTS meeting. Logs here.
  • General discussion on LTS private and public mailing list.

Other(s)
Sometimes it gets hard to categorize work/things into a particular category.
That s why I am writing all of those things inside this category.
This includes two sub-categories and they are as follows.

Personal: This month I could get the following things done:
  • Wrote and published my first Ruby gem/library/tool on RubyGems!
    It s open-sourced and the repository is here.
    Bug reports and pull requests are welcomed!
  • Wrote a small Ruby script (available here) to install Ruby gems from Gemfile(.lock).
    Needed this when I hit a bug while using ruby-standalone, which Antonio fixed pretty quickly!
  • Had a coffee chat with John Coghlan!
    Tweet here.

Open Source: Again, this contains all the things that I couldn t categorize earlier.
Opened several issues and did a PR review:
  • Issue #15434 against phantomjs, asking to look into CVE-2019-17221. Still no action :/
  • Issue #947 against sympa, reporting an incomplete patch for CVE-2020-10936.
  • Issue #2102 against polybar, mentioning that the build is not reproducible.
  • Issue #5521 against libgit2, mentioning that the build is not reproducible.
  • Reviewed PR #5523 for polybar, which was a fix for the above issue.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

2 May 2020

Sylvain Beucler: Debian LTS and ELTS - April 2020

Debian LTS Logo Here is my transparent report for my work on the Debian Long Term Support (LTS) and Debian Extended Long Term Support (ELTS), which extend the security support for past Debian releases, as a paid contributor. In April, the monthly sponsored hours were split evenly among contributors depending on their max availability - I was assigned 28.75h for LTS (out of 30 max; all done) and 7.75h for ELTS (out of 20 max; I did 2.75). Escalation procedures were (internally) documented with a focus on discussing issues with team coordinator(s) first. Debian LTS had its first team meeting through IRC and lots of workflow question were discussed. This should help discuss questions that are a bit hard to bring up, and ensure everybody participates. There were lots of topics and it was a bit rushed, but this is something we want to repeat monthly now, possibly with audio/video in a couple months. Remarks from last month's report were discussed, strengthening the Front-Desk role. 10% of the global funding is now reserved for infrastructure work. What kind of work, and who (LTS or external) will do the work, will be discussed further. A fellow DD suggested (in a private conversation) that LTS may be taking time from the Debian Security team, due to additional commits to review. Conversely, this is another opportunity to mention all the global, non-LTS-specific work that LTS provides, which I usually highlight in my reports, and maybe I should be even more ;) ELTS - Wheezy LTS - Jessie Documentation/Scripts

1 May 2020

Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in April 2020

Here s my (seventh) monthly update about the activities I ve done in the F/L/OSS world.

Debian
It s been 14 months since I ve started contributing to Debian. And 4 months since I ve been a Debian Developer. And in this beautiful time, I had this opprotunity to do and learn lots of new and interesting things. And most importantly, meet and interact with lots of lovely people!
Debian is $home.

Uploads:

Other $things:
  • Attended Ruby team meeting. Logs here.
  • Attended Perl team LHF. Report here.
  • Sponsored a lot of uploads for William Desportes and Adam Cecile.
  • Mentoring for newcomers.
  • FTP Trainee reviewing.
  • Moderation of -project mailing list.
  • Applied for DUCI project for Google Summer of Code 2020.

Ruby2.7 Migration:
Ruby2.7 was recently released on 25th December, 2019. Santa s gift. Believe it or not. We, the Debian Ruby team, have been trying hard to make it migrate to testing. And it finally happened. The default version in testing is ruby2.7. Here s the news! \o/
Here s what I worked on this month for this transition.

Upstream: Opened several issues and proposed patches (in the form of PRs):
  • Issue #35 against encryptor for Ruby2.7 test failures.
  • Issue #28 against image_science for removing relative paths.
  • Issue #106 against ffi-yajl for Ruby2.7 test failures.
  • PR #5 against aggregate for simply using require.
  • PR #6 against aggregate for modernizing CI and adding Ruby 2.5 and 2.7 support.
  • Issue #13 against espeak-ruby for Ruby2.7 test failures.
  • Issue #4 against tty-which for test failures in general.
  • Issue #11 against packable for Ruby2.7 test failures. PR #12 has been proposed.
  • Issue #10 against growl for test failures and proposed an initial patch.

Downstream: I fixed and uploaded the following packages in Debian:

Debian LTS
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success.
This was my seventh month as a Debian LTS paid contributor. I was assigned 24.00 hours and worked on the following things:

CVE Fixes and Announcements:

Other LTS Work:

Other(s)
Sometimes it gets hard to categorize work/things into a particular category.
That s why I am writing all of those things inside this category.
This includes two sub-categories and they are as follows.

Personal: This month I could get the following things done:
  • Most importantly, I finally migrated to a new website. Huge UI imporvement! \o/
    From Jekyll to Hugo, it was not easy. But it was worth it! Many thanks to Luiz for writing hugo-coder, Clement, and Samyak!
    If you find any flaws, issues and pull requests are welcomed at utkarsh2102/utkarsh2102.com
  • Wrote battery-alert, a mini-project of my own to show battery alerts at <10% and >90%.
    Written in shell, it brings me all the satisfaction as it has saved my life on many occasions.
    And guess what? It has more users than just myself!
    Reviews and patches are welcomed \o/
  • Mentored in HackOn Hackathon. Thanks to Manvi for reaching out!
    It was fun to see people developing some really nice projects.
  • Thanks to Ray and John, I became a GitLab Hero!
    (I am yet to figure out my role and responibility though)
  • Atteneded Intro Sec Con and had the most fun!
    Heard Ian s keynote and attended other talks and learned how to use WireShark!

Open Source: Again, this contains all the things that I couldn t categorize earlier.
Opened several issues and pull requests:
  • Issue #297 against hugo-coder, asking to enable RSS feed for blogs.
  • PR #316 for hugo-coder for fixing the above issue myself.
  • Issue #173 against arbre for requesting a release.
  • Issue #104 against combustion, asking to relax dependency on rubocop. Fixed in this commit.
  • Issue #16 against ffi-compiler for requesting to fix homepage and license.
  • Issue #57 against gographviz for requesting a release.
  • Issue #14 against crb-blast, suggesting compatability with bio 2.0.x.
  • Issue #58 against uniform_notifier for asking to drop the use of ruby-growl.
  • PR #2072 for polybar, adding installation instructions on Debian systems.

Until next time.
:wq for today.

25 March 2020

Rapha&#235;l Hertzog: Freexian s report about Debian Long Term Support, February 2020

A Debian LTS logo Like each month, here comes a report about the work of paid contributors to Debian LTS. Individual reports In February, 226 work hours have been dispatched among 14 paid contributors. Their reports are available: Evolution of the situation February began as rather calm month and the fact that more contributors have given back unused hours is an indicator of this calmness and also an indicator that contributing to LTS has become more of a routine now, which is good. In the second half of February Holger Levsen (from LTS) and Salvatore Bonaccorso (from the Debian Security Team) met at SnowCamp in Italy and discussed tensions and possible improvements from and for Debian LTS. The security tracker currently lists 25 packages with a known CVE and the dla-needed.txt file has 21 packages needing an update. Thanks to our sponsors New sponsors are in bold.

No comment Liked this article? Click here. My blog is Flattr-enabled.

Next.