A good amount of the Debian reproducible
team had the chance to
enjoy face-to-face interactions during DebConf15
Names in red and blue were all present at DebConf15
Hugging people with whom one has been working tirelessly for months gives a lot of warm-fuzzy feelings. Several recorded and hallway discussions paved the way to solve the remaining issues to get reproducible builds part of Debian proper. Both talks from the Debian Project Leader
and the release team
mentioned the effort as important for the future of Debian.
A forty-five minutes talk
presented the state of the reproducible builds effort. It was then followed by an hour long roundtable
to discuss current blockers regarding dpkg
and their integration in the archive.
- Kenneth J. Pronovici uploaded epydoc/3.0.1+dfsg-12 which makes class and modules ordering predictable (#795835) and fixes
__repr__ so memory addresses don't appear in docs (#795826). Patches by Val Lorentz.
- Sergei Golovan uploaded erlang/1:18.0-dfsg-2 which adds support for SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH to
erlc. Patch by Chris West (Faux) and Chris Lamb.
- St phane Glondu uploaded ocaml/4.02.3-2 to experimental, making startup files and native packed libraries deterministic. The patch adds deterministic
.file to the assembler output.
- Enrico Tassi uploaded lua-ldoc/1.4.3-3 which now pass the
-d option to
txt2man and add the
--date option to override the current date.
Reiner Herrmann submitted a patch
to make rdfind
sort the processed files before doing any operation. Chris Lamb proposed a new patch
implementing support for
instead of the custom
. akira sent one
St phane Glondu reported that dpkg-source would not respect tarball permissions when unpacking under a
After hours of iterative testing during the DebConf workshop, Sandro Knau created a test case
output can be non-deterministic with some PNG files.
The following 65 packages became reproducible due to changes in their
The following packages became reproducible after getting fixed:
- apr/1.5.2-3 by Stefan Fritsch.
- aprx/2.08.svn593+dfsg-2 uploaded by Colin Tuckley, original patch by Chris Lamb.
- blkreplay/1.0-3 uploaded by Andrew Shadura, patch by Dhole.
- cal3d/0.11.0-6 uploaded by Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo, patch by akira.
- cgsi-gsoap/1.3.8-1 by Mattias Ellert.
- eyefiserver/2.4+dfsg-1 by Jean-Michel Vourg re.
- gnujump/1.0.8-3 uploaded by Evgeni Golov, original patch by Chris Lamb.
- hkgerman/1:2-29 by Roland Rosenfeld.
- jove/188.8.131.52-4 by Cord Beermann.
- libevhtp/1.2.10-3 by Vincent Bernat.
- libmkdoc-xml-perl/0.75-4 uploaded by gregor herrmann, original patch by Niko Tyni.
- libparse-debianchangelog-perl/1.2.0-6 by Niko Tyni.
- librostlab-blast/1.0.1-5 uploaded by Andreas Tille, original patch by Chris Lamb.
- libxray-absorption-perl/3.0.1-3 uploaded by gregor herrmann, original patch by Niko Tyni.
- lua-penlight/1.3.2-2 by Enrico Tassi.
- mosquitto/1.4.3-1 by Roger A. Light.
- nagios-plugins-contrib/15.20150818 by Jan Wagner and Bernd Zeimetz.
- nn/6.7.3-10 uploaded by Cord Beermann, original patch by Chris Lamb.
- pybik/2.1-1 by B. Clausius.
- pyepr/0.9.3-1 uploaded by Antonio Valentino, original patch by Juan Picca.
- python-xlrd/0.9.4-1 by Vincent Bernat.
- transmissionrpc/0.11-2 uploaded by Vincent Bernat, original patch by Juan Picca.
- unoconv/0.7-1.1 sponsored by Vincent Bernat, fix by Dhole.
- vim-latexsuite/20141116.812-1 uploaded by Johann Felix Soden, original patch by Chris Lamb.
- volk/1.0.2-2 by A. Maitland Bottoms.
- xbmc/2:13.2+dfsg1-5 by Balint Reczey.
- xdotool/1:3.20150503.1-2 uploaded by Daniel Kahn Gillmor, initial patch by Chris Lamb.
- xfig/1:3.2.5.c-5 by Roland Rosenfeld.
- xfireworks/1.3-10 uploaded by Yukiharu YABUKI, original patch by Chris Lamb.
- xul-ext-monkeysphere/0.8-2 uploaded by Daniel Kahn Gillmor, original patch by Dhole.
Uploads that might have fixed reproducibility issues:
Some uploads fixed some reproducibility issues but not all of them:
Patches submitted which have not made their way to the archive yet:
- #795861 on fakeroot by Val Lorentz: set the mtime of all files to the time of the last
- #795870 on fatresize by Chris Lamb: set build date to the time of the latest
- #795945 on projectl by Reiner Herrmann: sort with
LC_ALL set to
- #795977 on dahdi-tools by Dhole: set the timezone to UTC before calling asciidoc.
- #795981 on x11proto-input by Dhole: set the timezone to UTC before calling asciidoc.
- #795983 on dbusada by Dhole: set the timezone to UTC before calling asciidoc.
- #795984 on postgresql-plproxy by Dhole: set the timezone to UTC before calling asciidoc.
- #795985 on xorg by Dhole: set the timezone to UTC before calling asciidoc.
- #795987 on pngcheck by Dhole: set the date in the man pages to the latest
- #795997 on python-babel by Val Lorentz: make build timestamp independent from the timezone and remove the name of the build system locale from the documentation.
- #796092 on a7xpg by Reiner Herrmann: sort with
LC_ALL set to
- #796212 on bittornado by Chris Lamb: remove umask-varying permissions.
- #796251 on liblucy-perl by Niko Tyni: generate
lib/Lucy.xs in a deterministic order.
- #796271 on tcsh by Reiner Herrmann: sort with
LC_ALL set to
- #796275 on hspell by Reiner Herrmann: remove timestamp from
aff files generated by
- #796324 on fftw3 by Reiner Herrmann: remove date from documentation files.
- #796335 on nasm by Val Lorentz: remove extra timestamps from the build system.
- #796360 on libical by Chris Lamb: removes randomess caused Perl in generated
- #796375 on wcd by Dhole: set the date in the man pages to the latest
- #796376 on mapivi by Dhole: set the date in the man pages to the latest
- #796527 on vserver-debiantools by Dhole: set the date in the man pages to the latest
St phane Glondu reported two issues regarding embedded build date in omake
Aur lien Jarno submitted a fix
for the breakage of make-dfsg
test suite. As binutils
now creates deterministic libraries by default, Aur lien's patch makes use of a wrapper to give the
Reiner Herrmann reported an issue
which embeds random
in its code during the build. Better solutions are yet to be found.
Package pages on reproducible.debian.net
now have a new layout improving readability designed by Mattia Rizzolo, h01ger, and Ulrike. The navigation is now on the left as vertical space is more valuable nowadays.
is now enabled on all pages except the dashboard. Actual tests on
are expected to start shortly. (Mattia Rizzolo, h01ger)
The limit on how many packages people can schedule using the
script on Alioth has been bumped to 200. (h01ger)
Following the rename of the software, debbindiff has mostly been replaced by either diffoscope or differences in generated HTML and IRC notification output.
Connections to UDD
have been made more robust. (Mattia Rizzolo)
diffoscope version 31
was released on August 21st
. This version improves fuzzy-matching by using the tlsh
algorithm instead of ssdeep
New command line options are available:
to override limits on
input and output (Reiner Herrmann),
to dump the user into pdb in case of crashes (Mattia Rizzolo).
archives should now be detected properly (Reiner Herrman). Several general code cleanups were also done by Chris Lamb.
Andrew Ayer released strip-nondeterminism version 0.010-1
. Java properties file in jar should now be detected more accurately. A missing dependency spotted by St phane Glondu has been added.
Testing directory ordering issues: disorderfs
During the reproducible builds workshop at DebConf, participants identified that we were still short of a good way to test variations on filesystem behaviors (e.g. file ordering or disk usage). Andrew Ayer took a couple of hours to create disorderfs
. Based on FUSE
in an overlay filesystem that will mount the content of a directory at another location. For this first version, it will make the order in which files appear in a directory random.
how to implement support for
in Python, bash, Makefile
s, CMake, and C.
Chris Lamb started to convert the wiki page describing
into a Freedesktop-like specification in the hope that it will convince more upstream to adopt it.
been removed, 192 added and 77 updated this week.
New issues identified this week: locale_dependent_order_in_devlibs_depends
, and images_in_pdf_generated_by_latex
117 new FTBFS bugs have been reported by Chris Lamb, Chris West (Faux), and Niko Tyni.
Some reproducibility issues might face us very late. Chris Lamb noticed that the test suite for python-pykmip
was now failing because its test certificates have expired
. Let's hope no packages are hiding a certificate valid for 10 years somewhere in their source!
Pictures courtesy and copyright of Debian's own paparazzi: Aigars Mahinovs.