Search Results: "Ansgar"

3 May 2016

Raphaël Hertzog: My Free Software Activities in April 2016

My monthly report covers a large part of what I have been doing in the free software world. I write it for my donators (thanks to them!) but also for the wider Debian community because it can give ideas to newcomers and it s one of the best ways to find volunteers to work with me on projects that matter to me. Debian LTS I handled a new LTS sponsor that wanted to see wheezy keep supporting armel and armhf. This was not part of our initial plans (set during last Debconf) and I thus mailed all teams that were impacted if we were to collectively decide that it was OK to support those architectures. While I was hoping to get a clear answer rather quickly, it turns out that we never managed to get an answer to the question from all parties. Instead the discussion drifted on the more general topic of how we handle sponsorship/funding in the LTS project. Fortunately, the buildd maintainers said they were OK with this and the ftpmasters had no objections, and they both implicitly enacted the decision: Ansgar Burchardt kept the armel/armhf architectures in the wheezy/updates suite when he handled the switch to the LTS team, and Aur lien Jarno also configured wanna-build to keep building armel/armhf for the suite. The DSA team did not confirm that this change was not interfering with one of their plans to decommission some hardware. Build daemons are a shared resource anyway and a single server is likely to handle builds for multiple releases. DebConf 16 This month I registered for DebConf 16 and submitted multiple talk/BoF proposals: I want to share the setup we use in Kali as it can be useful for other derivatives and also for Debian itself to help smooth the relationship with derivatives. I also want to open again the debate on the usage of money within Debian. It s a hard topic but we should really strive to take some official position on what s possible and what s not possible. With Debian LTS and its sponsorship we have seen that we can use money to some extent without hurting the Debian project as a whole. Can this be transposed to other teams or projects? What are the limits? Can we define a framework and clear rules? I expect the discussion to be very interesting in the BoF. Mehdi Dogguy has agreed to handle this BoF with me. Packaging Django. I uploaded 1.8.12 to jessie-backports and 1.9.5 to unstable. I filed two upstream bugs (26473 and 26474) for two problems spotted by lintian. Unfortunately, when I wanted to upload it to unstable, the test suite did not ran. I pinned this down to a sqlite regression. Chris Lamb filed #820225 and I contacted the SQLite and Django upstream developers by email to point them to this issue. I helped the SQLite upstream author (Richard Hipp) to reproduce the issue and he was quick to provide a patch which landed in 3.12.1. Later in the month I made another upload to fix an upgrade bug (#821789). GNOME 3.20. As for each new version, I updated gnome-shell-timer to ensure it works with the new GNOME. This time I spent a bit more time to fix a regression (805347) that dates back to a while and that would never be fixed otherwise since the upstream author orphaned this extension (as he no longer uses GNOME). I have also been bitten by display problems where accented characters would be displayed below the character that follows. With the help of members of the GNOME team, we found out that this was a problem specific to the cantarell font and was only triggered with Harfbuzz 1.2. This is tracked in Debian with #822682 on harfbuzz and #822762 in fonts-cantarell. There s a new upstream release (with the fix) ready to be packaged but unfortunately it is blocked by the lack of a recent fontforge in Debian. I thus mailed debian-mentors in the hope to find volunteers to help the pkg-fonts team to package a newer version Misc Debian/Kali work Distro Tracker. I started to mentor Vladimir Likic who contacted me because he wants to contribute to Distro Tracker. I helped him to setup his development environment and we fixed a few issues in the process. Bug reports. I filed many bug reports, most of them due to my work on Kali: I also investigated #819958 that was affecting testing since it has been reported to Kali as well. And I made an NMU of dh-make-golang to fix #819472 that I reported earlier. Thanks See you next month for a new summary of my activities.

No comment Liked this article? Click here. My blog is Flattr-enabled.

1 May 2016

Thorsten Alteholz: My Debian Activities in April 2016

FTP assistant This month I marked 171 packages for accept and rejected 42. I also sent 3 emails to maintainers asking questions. It seems to be that another quiet month is behind us. Nevertheless the flood of strange things in NEW continued this month. Hmm, weird world .. Debian LTS This was my twenty-second month that I did some work for the Debian LTS initiative, started by Raphael Hertzog at Freexian. This month my all in all workload had been 15.75h. After getting the permission of the security team I changed the temporary-issues to meanwhile assigned CVEs and uploaded fuseiso. This resulted in DSA 3551-1. I also prepared new packages for asterisk and asked for testers on the LTS mailing list. Luckily Gabriel Filion really tried these packages and found a regression with manager connections. Dear reader, the new packages are waiting for your tests now :-) . Further I used the upload of poppler (DLA 446-1) to test the workflow of the new wheezy-security upload. Uploading and building packages worked perfectly. Unfortunately the push to the security mirrors was a bit delayed (it only happened after an upload of the security team). But this seems to be fixed by Ansgar now. Last but not least I had a look at PHP5. I think I will start my regular uploads in May. Other stuff As I had to deal with non-Debian stuff this month, I didn t do lots of other things. I only uploaded node-uml

27 April 2016

Niels Thykier: auto-decrufter in top 5 after 10 months

About 10 months ago, we enabled an auto-decrufter in dak. Then after 3 months it had become the top 11th remover . Today, there are only 3 humans left that have removed more packages than the auto-decrufter impressively enough, one of them is not even an active FTP-master (anymore). The current score board:
 5371 Luca Falavigna
 5121 Alexander Reichle-Schmehl
 4401 Ansgar Burchardt
 3928 DAK's auto-decrufter
 3257 Scott Kitterman
 2225 Joerg Jaspert
 1983 James Troup
 1793 Torsten Werner
 1025 Jeroen van Wolffelaar
  763 Ryan Murray
For comparison, here is the number removals by year for the past 6 years:
 5103 2011
 2765 2012
 3342 2013
 3394 2014
 3766 2015  (1842 removed by auto-decrufter)
 2845 2016  (2086 removed by auto-decrufter)
Which tells us that in 2015, the FTP masters and the decrufter performed on average over 10 removals a day. And by the looks of it, 2016 will surpass that. Of course, the auto-decrufter has a tendency to increase the number of removed items since it is an advocate of remove early, remove often! .:) Data is from https://ftp-master.debian.org/removals-full.txt. Scoreboard computed as:
  grep ftpmaster: removals-full.txt   \
   perl -pe 's/.*ftpmaster:\s+//; s/\]$//;'   \
   sort   uniq -c   sort --numeric --reverse   head -n10
Removals by year computed as:
 grep ftpmaster: removals-full.txt   \
   perl -pe 's/.* (\d 4 ) \d 2 :\d 2 :\d 2 .*/$1/'   uniq -c   tail -n6
(yes, both could be done with fewer commands)
Filed under: Debian

4 January 2016

Lunar: Reproducible builds: week 36 in Stretch cycle

What happened in the reproducible builds effort between December 27th and January 2nd: Infrastructure dak now silently accepts and discards .buildinfo files (commit 1, 2), thanks to Niels Thykier and Ansgar Burchardt. This was later confirmed as working by Mattia Rizzolo. Packages fixed The following packages have become reproducible due to changes in their build dependencies: banshee-community-extensions, javamail, mono-debugger-libs, python-avro. The following packages became reproducible after getting fixed: Some uploads fixed some reproducibility issues, but not all of them: Untested changes: reproducible.debian.net The testing distribution (the upcoming stretch) is now tested on armhf. (h01ger) Four new armhf build nodes provided by Vagrant Cascandian were integrated in the infrastructer. This allowed for 9 new armhf builder jobs. (h01ger) The RPM-based build system, koji, is now in unstable and testing. (Marek Marczykowski-G recki, Ximin Luo). Package reviews 131 reviews have been removed, 71 added and 53 updated in the previous week. 58 new FTBFS reports were made by Chris Lamb and Chris West. New issues identified this week: nondeterminstic_ordering_in_gsettings_glib_enums_xml, nondeterminstic_output_in_warnings_generated_by_breathe, qt_translate_noop_nondeterminstic_ordering. Misc. Steven Chamberlain explained in length why reproducible cross-building across architectures mattered, and posted results of his tests comparing a stage1 debootstrapped chroot of linux-i386 once done from official Debian packages, the others cross-built from kfreebsd-amd64.

20 December 2015

Lunar: Reproducible builds: week 34 in Stretch cycle

What happened in the reproducible builds effort between December 13th to December 19th: Infrastructure Niels Thykier started implementing support for .buildinfo files in dak. A very preliminary commit was made by Ansgar Burchardt to prevent .buildinfo files from being removed from the upload queue. Toolchain fixes Mattia Rizzolo rebased our experimental debhelper with the changes from the latest upload. New fixes have been merged by OCaml upstream. Packages fixed The following 39 packages have become reproducible due to changes in their build dependencies: apache-mime4j, avahi-sharp, blam, bless, cecil-flowanalysis, cecil, coco-cs, cowbell, cppformat, dbus-sharp-glib, dbus-sharp, gdcm, gnome-keyring-sharp, gudev-sharp-1.0, jackson-annotations, jackson-core, jboss-classfilewriter, jboss-jdeparser2, jetty8, json-spirit, lat, leveldb-sharp, libdecentxml-java, libjavaewah-java, libkarma, mono.reflection, monobristol, nuget, pinta, snakeyaml, taglib-sharp, tangerine, themonospot, tomboy-latex, widemargin, wordpress, xsddiagram, xsp, zeitgeist-sharp. The following packages became reproducible after getting fixed: Some uploads fixed some reproducibility issues, but not all of them: Patches submitted which have not made their way to the archive yet: reproducible.debian.net Packages in experimental are now tested on armhf. (h01ger) Arch Linux packages in the multilib and community repositories (4,000 more source packages) are also being tested. All of these test results are better analyzed and nicely displayed together with each package. (h01ger) For Fedora, build jobs can now run in parallel. Two are currently running, now testing reproducibility of 785 source packages from Fedora 23. mock/1.2.3-1.1 has been uploaded to experimental to better build RPMs. (h01ger) Work has started on having automatic build node pools to maximize use of armhf build nodes. (Vagrant Cascadian) diffoscope development Version 43 has been released on December 15th. It has been dubbed as epic! as it contains many contributions that were written around the summit in Athens. Baptiste Daroussin found that running diffoscope on some Tar archives could overwrite arbitrary files. This has been fixed by using libarchive instead of Python internal Tar library and adding a sanity check for destination paths. In any cases, until proper sandboxing is implemented, don't run diffosope on unstrusted inputs outside an isolated, throw-away system. Mike Hommey identified that the CBFS comparator would needlessly waste time scanning big files. It will now not consider any files bigger than 24 MiB 8 MiB more than the largest ROM created by coreboot at this time. An encoding issue related to Zip files has also been fixed. (Lunar) New comparators have been added: Android dex files (Reiner Herrmann), filesystem images using libguestfs (Reiner Herrmann), icons and JPEG images using libcaca (Chris Lamb), and OS X binaries (Clemens Lang). The comparator for Free Pascal Compilation Unit will now only be used when the unit version matches the compiler one. (Levente Polyak) A new multi-file HTML output with on-demand loading of long diffs is available through the --html-dir option. On-demand loading requires jQuery which path can be specified through the --jquery option. The diffs can also be simply browsed for non-JavaScript users or when jQuery is not available. (Joachim Breitner) Example of on-demand loading in diffosope Portability toward other systems has been improved: old versions of GNU diff are now supported (Mike McQuaid), suggestion of the appropriate locale is now the more generic en_US.UTF-8 (Ed Maste), the --list-tools option can now support multiple systems (Mattia Rizzolo, Levente Polyak, Lunar). Many internal changes and code clean-ups have been made, paving the way for parallel processing. (Lunar) Version 44 was released on December 18th fixing an issue affecting .deb lacking a md5sums file introduced in a previous refactoring (Lunar). Support has been added for Mozilla optimized Zip files. (Mike Hommey). The HTML output has been optimized in size (Mike Hommey, Esa Peuha, Lunar), speed (Lunar), and will now properly number lines (Mike Hommey). A message will always be displayed when lines are ignored at the end of a diff (Lunar). For portability and consistency, Python os.walk() function is now used instead of find to perform directory listing. (Lunar) Documentation update Package reviews 143 reviews have been removed, 69 added and 22 updated in the previous week. Chris Lamb reported 12 new FTBFS issues. News issues identified this week: random_order_in_init_py_generated_by_python-genpy, timestamps_in_copyright_added_by_perl_dist_zilla, random_contents_in_dat_files_generated_by_chasen-dictutils_makemat, timestamps_in_documentation_generated_by_pandoc. Chris West did some improvements on the scripts used to manage notes in the misc repository. Misc. Accounts of the reproducible builds summit in Athens were written by Thomas Klausner from NetBSD and Hans-Christoph Steiner from The Guardian Project. Some openSUSE developers are working on a hackweek on reproducible builds which was discussed on the opensuse-packaging mailing-list.

5 September 2015

Niels Thykier: I accidentally dak

So, yesterday, I unbroke dak twice even! It is of course slightly less awesome that one of the broken parts was in code written by yours truly. Anyhow: Unbreaking the dak auto-decrufter You may remember the auto-decrufter, which I added to dak. As a safety measure, it bails out when in doubt about which removal breaks what package. Turns out it was often in doubt, because the code had a bug. Of course, nothing that could not be solved with a patch. Thanks to Ansgar for merging this. :) Unbreaking dak generate-releases As a part of migrating apt-file to use APTs new acquire system (from experimental), I learned APT really likes having checksums for everything. Now including checksums for both the compressed file and the uncompressed file. Sadly, dak had optimised out the uncompressed checksums for Contents files, but even after removing that optimisation (and Ganneff unbreaking my dinstall breakage) some Contents files still did not have an checksum for the uncompressed Contents file. After some sophisticated debugging (read: printf-debugging ), I finally discovered the issue and submitted a patch. Thanks to Ansgar and Ganneff for merging (and fixing my dinstall breakage).
Filed under: Debian

1 September 2015

Raphaël Hertzog: My Free Software Activities in August 2015

My monthly report covers a large part of what I have been doing in the free software world. I write it for my donators (thanks to them!) but also for the wider Debian community because it can give ideas to newcomers and it s one of the best ways to find volunteers to work with me on projects that matter to me. Debian LTS This month I have been paid to work 6.5 hours on Debian LTS. In that time I did the following: Apart from that, I also gave a talk about Debian LTS at DebConf 15 in Heidelberg and also coordinated a work session to discuss our plans for Wheezy. Have a look at the video recordings: DebConf 15 I attended DebConf 15 with great pleasure after having missed DebConf 14 last year. While I did not do lots of work there, I participated in many discussions and I certainly came back with a renewed motivation to work on Debian. That s always good. :-) For the concrete work I did during DebConf, I can only claim two schroot uploads to fix the lack of support of the new overlay filesystem that replaces aufs in the official Debian kernel, and some Distro Tracker work (fixing an issue that some people had when they were logged in via Debian s SSO). While the numerous discussions I had during DebConf can t be qualified as work , they certainly contribute to build up work plans for the future: As a Kali developer, I attended multiple sessions related to derivatives (notably the Debian Derivatives Panel). I was also interested by the Debian in the corporate IT BoF led by Michael Meskes (Credativ s CEO). He pointed out a number of problems that corporate users might have when they first consider using Debian and we will try to do something about this. Expect further news and discussions on the topic. Martin Kraff, Luca Filipozzi, and me had a discussion with the Debian Project Leader (Neil) about how to revive/transform the Debian s Partner program. Nothing is fleshed out yet, but at least the process initiated by the former DPL (Lucas) is again moving forward. Other Debian work Sponsorship. I sponsored an NMU of pep8 by Daniel Stender as it was a requirement for prospector which I also sponsored since all the required dependencies are now available in Debian. \o/ Packaging. I NMUed libxml2 2.9.2+really2.9.1+dfsg1-0.1 fixing 3 security issues and a RC bug that was breaking publican. Since there s no upstream fix for more than 8 months, I went back to the former version 2.9.1. It s in line with the new requirement of release managers a package in unstable should migrate to testing reasonably quickly, it s not acceptable to keep it unfixed for months. With this annoying bug fixed, I could again upload a new upstream release of publican so I prepared and uploaded 4.3.2-1. It was my first source only upload. This release was more work than I expected and I filed no less than 3 bug to upstream (new bash-completion install path, request to provide sources of a minified javascript file, drop a .po file for an invalid language code). GPG issues with smartcard. Back from DebConf, when I wanted to sign some key, I stumbled again upon the problem which makes it impossible for me to use my two smartcards one after the other without first deleting the stubs for the private key. It s not a new issue but I decided that it was time to report it upstream, so I did it: #2079 on bugs.gnupg.org. Some research helped me to find a way to work-around the problem. Later in the month, after a dist-upgrade and a reboot, I was no longer able to use my smartcard as a SSH authentication key again it was already reported but there was no clear analysis, so I tried to do my own one and added the results of my investigation in #795368. It looks like the culprit is pinentry-gnome3 not working when started by the gpg-agent which is started before the DBUS session. Simple fix is to restart the gpg-agent in the session but I have no idea yet of what the proper fix should be (letting systemd manage the graphical user session and start gpg-agent would be my first answer, but that doesn t solve the issue for users of other init systems so it s not satisfying). Distro Tracker. I merged two patches from Orestis Ioannou fixing some bugs tagged newcomer. There are more such bugs (I even filed two: #797096 and #797223), go grab them and do a first contribution to Distro Tracker like Orestis just did! I also merged a change from Christophe Siraut who presented Distro Tracker at DebConf. I implemented in Distro Tracker the new authentication based on SSL client certificates that was recently announced by Enrico Zini. It s working nice, and this authentication scheme is far easier to support. Good job, Enrico! tracker.debian.org broke during DebConf, it stopped being updated with new data. I tracked this down to a problem in the archive (see #796892). Apparently Ansgar Burchardt changed the set of compression tools used on some jessie repositorie, replacing bz2 by xz. He dropped the old Packages.bz2 but missed some Sources.bz2 which were thus stale and APT reported Hashsum mismatch on the uncompressed content. Misc. I pushed some small improvement to my Salt formulas: schroot-formula and sbuild-formula. They will now auto-detect which overlay filesystem is available with the current kernel (previously aufs was hardcoded). Thanks See you next month for a new summary of my activities.

No comment Liked this article? Click here. My blog is Flattr-enabled.

31 July 2013

Christoph Berg: Version Numbers

Following an idea by Ansgar Burchardt, I've done some digging on version numbers in Debian: Most common version numbers:
projectb=> select version::text, count(*) from source group by 1 order by 2 desc;
  version     count 
------------+-------
 4:4.10.5-1     131
 1.0-1          120
 1.0.0-1         95
 1.1-1           95
 1.0.1-1         93
 1.2-1           88
 1.0-2           82
 0.2-1           80
 0.3-1           79
 0.5-1           77
 0.04-1          76
 1.1.1-1         76
 0.10-1          74
 1.4-1           72
 1.1-2           71
 0.1-1           70
 0.11-1          70
Version number with the most spellings: (considered equal by the dpkg definition, implemented in the "debversion" type)
projectb=> select version::text, count(*) from source where version = '1.02-1' group by 1 order by 2 desc;
  version     count 
------------+-------
 1.2-1           88
 1.02-1          46
 1.002-1          4
 1.000002-1       1
 001.002-1        1
 1.00002-1        1
If we look at equivalent version numbers, the first table above looks entirely different:
projectb=> select version, count(*) from source group by 1 order by 2 desc limit 30;
  version     count 
------------+-------
 0.3-1          162
 1.0-1          160
 0.05-1         156
 0.04-1         154
 0.02-1         151
 1.02-1         141
 0.006-1        133
 1.001-1        131
 4:4.10.5-1     131
 0.7-1          127
(I'm also participating in the "longest version number" contest, I've just uploaded bind9 version 1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1~bpo60+1 to backports.)

4 May 2013

Joerg Jaspert: Wheezy release

There was Lenny, there was Squeeze, now there is Wheezy. Another major release of Debian where I had the pleasure to do the ftpmaster work for the release. Like the last times, Mark joined to help with the work. But 2 FTPMasters aren t enough for one Wheezy, or so, so Ansgar had his first run aside from point releases. With the whole load of work the release team did in the past to prepare this, combined with all the changes in dak we had since Squeeze, it turned out to be rather easy for us. Again, a few moments and not a detailed log (times in CEST): Right now (that is, 21:08 CEST) I am mostly waiting for the CD build to finish. Current schedule seems to have that in some two and a half hours, after which we can push the mirrors and our press people announce it. Except if Murphy wants to show up, but lets hope that not. Thanks go out to everyone involved in preparing this release, be it in the past by fixing bugs, uploading packages, doing whatever was needed, as well as doing the work today.

15 March 2013

Hideki Yamane: pbuilder/cowbuilder and piuparts failed

Today, I've failed to create pbuilder's base.tgz and cowbuilder's base.cow, and log says as below

Get:1 http://ftp.jp.debian.org sid Release.gpg [836 B]
Hit http://ftp.jp.debian.org sid Release
Ign http://ftp.jp.debian.org sid Release
Hit http://ftp.jp.debian.org sid/main amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.jp.debian.org sid/main Translation-en
Fetched 836 B in 0s (3011 B/s)
Reading package lists...
W: GPG error: http://ftp.jp.debian.org sid Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG AED4B06F473041FA Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (6.0/squeeze) <ftpmaster debian.org="">
I: Obtaining the cached apt archive contents</ftpmaster>
"The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG" ?

apt (0.9.7.8) unstable; urgency=criticial

* SECURITY UPDATE: InRelease verification bypass
- CVE-2013-1051

[ David Kalnischk ]
* apt-pkg/deb/debmetaindex.cc,
test/integration/test-bug-595691-empty-and-broken-archive-files,
test/integration/test-releasefile-verification:
- disable InRelease downloading until the verification issue is
fixed, thanks to Ansgar Burchardt for finding the flaw
Maybe this cause it (just wild guess).

And piuparts also failed.


8m16.5s DEBUG: Starting command: ['chroot', '/tmp/tmpivurbJ', 'eatmydata', 'umount', '/proc']
8m16.5s DUMP:
umount: /proc: device is busy.
(In some cases useful info about processes that use
the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
8m16.5s DEBUG: Command failed (status=1), but ignoring error: ['chroot', '/tmp/tmpivurbJ', 'eatmydata', 'umount', '/proc']
8m16.5s DEBUG: Starting command: ['rm', '-rf', '--one-file-system', '/tmp/tmpivurbJ']
8m16.6s DUMP:
rm: skipping '/tmp/tmpivurbJ/proc', since it's on a different device
8m16.6s ERROR: Command failed (status=1): ['rm', '-rf', '--one-file-system', '/tmp/tmpivurbJ']
rm: skipping '/tmp/tmpivurbJ/proc', since it's on a different device

8m16.7s DEBUG: Starting command: ['chroot', '/tmp/tmpivurbJ', 'umount', '/proc']
8m16.8s DUMP:
chroot: failed to run command 'umount': No such file or directory


It mounts binfmt_misc mount under /proc and try to umount /proc without umount it again, again and again... then failed. What causes this annoying behavior?

Please let me know.

16 February 2013

Luca Falavigna: The DPL Game

Playing the DPL Game: here are my nominations for the Fantastic Four: P.S. Sorry Joss, I m not your man ;)

5 January 2013

Paul Tagliamonte: Updates to dput-ng since version 1.0

Big release notes since 1.0: We ve got a new list dput-ng-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org feel free to subscribe!
1.3:
  * Avoid failing on upload if a pre/post upload hook is missing from the
    Filesystem.
  * Fix "dcut raises FtpUploadException" by correctly initializing the uploader
    classes from dcut (Closes: #696467)
1.2:
  * Add bash completions for dput-ng (Closes: #695412).
  * Add in a script to set the default profile depending on the building
    distro (Ubuntu support)
  * Fix a bug where meta-class info won't be loaded if the config file has the
    same name.
  * Add an Ubuntu upload target.
  * Added .udeb detection to the check debs hook.
  * Catch the correct exception falling out of bin/dcut
  * Fix the dput manpages to use --uid rather then the old --dm flag.
  * Fix the CLI flag registration by setting required=True
    in cancel and upload.
  * Move make_delayed_upload above the logging call for sanity's sake.
  * Fix "connects to the host even with -s" (Closes: #695347)
Thanks to everone who s contributed!
     7  Bernhard R. Link
     4  Ansgar Burchardt
     3  Luca Falavigna
     2  Michael Gilbert
     2  Salvatore Bonaccorso
     1  Benjamin Drung
     1  Gergely Nagy
     1  Jakub Wilk
     1  Jimmy Kaplowitz
     1  Luke Faraone
     1  Sandro Tosi
This has been your every-once-in-a-while dput-ng update. We re looking for more code contributions (to make sure everyone s happy), doc updates (etc) or ideas.

9 October 2012

Stefano Zacchiroli: bits from the DPL for September 2012

Just posted to d-d-a, bits from the DPL for Septemer 2012.
Heya,
here is the periodic report of DPL activities, this time related to September 2012 (posted here with some delay, as I've been traveling oversea on behalf of Debian for the past few days). Help needed: Google Code-In The Google Code-In (GCI) initiative is about to start again. We don't have a great track record of participating into it, and that's a pity. The initiative revolves around small tasks that other Free Software projects have come to call "easy hacks", showing how effective they're in attracting new volunteers. To participate, we need both mentors and admins. If you're interested see Ana's call for help and please volunteer on the soc-coordination list. Related to this, you've probably seen the report of our participation in GSoC 2012. I'd like to thank all students, mentors, and admins for a very well organized edition. Logo relicensing & other assets The DFSG-relicensing of the Debian logo, which I've mentioned in recent updates, has now happened. The so called Debian "Open Use" logo, in both variants (with and without "Debian") is now dually licensed under LGPL3+ / CC-BY-SA 3.0. The change has been made effective with a resolution of the SPI Board of Directors. Note that the so called "official" logo, which we seem to use very little, is still released under the terms of a non-free license. Discussion is ongoing on -project to stop promoting it. If you're using it or if you've arguments in favor of against that, please participate in the discussion. I've got from SFLC an updated draft of the new proposed trademark policy, implementing most of the changes requested during related August discussions on -project. I'll post it for review there shortly. The Japanese Trademark Office (JPO) has sent us the final confirmation that trademark transfer request (from individuals Debian contributors in the area to SPI) has happened. We've paid the needed fee of 457 CHF to conclude the transaction. We finally settled a domain transfer agreement with the current owner of the debian.eu. Technically, the domain will be transferred to FFIS in the coming weeks. Core teams (non-)news Quite some core teams are in the process of changing their formations these weeks, but most are still pending proper delegation (or equivalent). So here are just a few "teasers": I hope to finalize all the pending tasks above this month. Future events I've spent quite some time to plan my participation in events I'll be attending during October on behalf of Debian, such as the ACM Reflections conference in Urbana-Champaign (at the time of writing, this has already happened), the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Copenhagen, and the LinuxDay event in Turin. Cheers.
PS the day-to-day activity log for September 2012 is available at the usual place master:/srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.txt.201209

30 June 2012

Luca Falavigna: FTP Team stats during Wheezy development

Already chilled by Wheezy freeze? It s been a long ride since the release of Squeeze, and your beloved FTP Team tried to assist our tireless developers and contributors at its best. Here are some hot stats to give you a figure about what happened behind the scenes. Since the release of Squeeze, 7462 .changes files with NEW components were processed by dak, with an average of 14.660 NEW packages per day. On the FTP Team side, we had 6877 accepts (13.511 per day), 641 rejects (1.259 per day) and 280 comments to maintainers (0.550 per day). This table represents the activity by single team member:
Login Accepts Rejects Comments
ansgar 407 accepts (0.800 per day) 71 rejects (0.139 per day) 53 comments (0.104 per day)
dak 12 accepts (0.024 per day) 1 rejects (0.002 per day) 0 comments (0.000 per day)
dktrkranz 4319 accepts (8.485 per day) 381 rejects (0.749 per day) 104 comments (0.204 per day)
joerg 100 accepts (0.196 per day) 12 rejects (0.024 per day) 1 comments (0.002 per day)
mhy 214 accepts (0.420 per day) 14 rejects (0.028 per day) 5 comments (0.010 per day)
stew 67 accepts (0.132 per day) 16 rejects (0.031 per day) 7 comments (0.014 per day)
tolimar 1480 accepts (2.908 per day) 93 rejects (0.183 per day) 84 comments (0.165 per day)
twerner 278 accepts (0.546 per day) 53 rejects (0.104 per day) 26 comments (0.051 per day)


Who were the most prolific maintainers who got a NEW processing? Here is our special top ten:
  1. Debian Perl Group (559 accepts)
  2. Debian Haskell Group (491 accepts)
  3. Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers (285 accepts)
  4. Debian Java Maintainers (257 accepts)
  5. Debian Med Packaging Team (164 accepts)
  6. Debian Multimedia Maintainers (160 accepts)
  7. Debian Fonts Task Force (156 accepts)
  8. Debian Javascript Maintainers (137 accepts)
  9. Debian Python Modules Team (129 accepts)
  10. Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers (98 accepts)
That doesn t reflect the real developers, though. Here s our Changed-By top ten:
  1. Clint Adams (216 accepts)
  2. Jonas Smedegaard (208 accepts)
  3. Ben Hutchings (203 accepts)
  4. Joachim Breitner (153 accepts)
  5. TANIGUCHI Takaki (112 accepts)
  6. Alessio Treglia (101 accepts)
  7. David Paleino (95 accepts)
  8. Nicholas Bamber (76 accepts)
  9. Mathieu Parent (68 accepts)
  10. Jeff Breidenbach (63 accepts)
Clint rocks with tons of Haskell packages, followed by Jonas (mostly Perl packages), and Ben (kernel uploads). Italian cabal stands still, with Alessio and David respectively at 6th and 7th place ;)


How long does a package stay in NEW? Some more, some less, but the average is 3 days, 15 minutes and 21 seconds. Now go and check your dak mails to see whether you had a fast processing or not :) liblog4ada 1.2-1 surely had, as it was accepted after 30 seconds! gsoap 2.7.17-1 was not so lucky, it took 103 days, 8 hours, 20 minutes and 43 seconds to clear NEW, but then made its way to the archive. Better late than never ;)


FTP Team is not just accepting NEW packages, but also removing obsolete ones. Here are some details about this task:

FTP Team also took care of override changes:

27 April 2012

Ana Beatriz Guerrero Lopez: Debian in the Google Summer of Code 2012

This year our efforts have paid off and despite there being more mentoring organizations than there were in 2011 (175 in 2011 and 180 in 2012), this year in Debian we got 81 submissions versus 43 submissions in 2011.
You can see here the graphs of applications against time from this year: 2012 The result is this year we ll have 15 students in Debian versus 9 students last year! Without further ado, here is the list of projects and student who will be working with us this summer: If you want to know more about these projects, follow the links and ask the students (and mentors)!

4 February 2012

Stefano Zacchiroli: bits from the DPL for January 2012

Fresh from the oven, monthly report of what I've been working on as DPL during January 2012.
Dear Developers,
here is another monthly report of what happened in DPL-land, this time for January 2012. There's quite a bit to report about --- including an insane amount of legal-ish stuff --- so please bear with me. Or not. Legal stuff Most of the above wouldn't have been possible without the precious help of folks at SFLC working for SPI and Debian. Be sure to thank SFLC for what they're doing for us and many other Free Software projects. Coordination Nobody stepped up to coordinate the artwork collection for Wheezy I've mentioned last month, so I've tried to do a little bit of that myself. The -publicity team is now preparing the call for artwork and hopefully we'll send it out RSN. In case you want to help, there is still a lot of room for that; just show up on the debian-desktop mailing list. Sprints A Debian Med sprint has happened in January, and Andreas Tille has provided a nice and detailed report about it. Some more sprints are forthcoming this spring, how about yours? Money Important stuff going on Other important stuff has been going on in various area of the project in January. I'd like to point your attention to a couple of things: Miscellanea In the unlikely case you've read thus far, thanks for your attention! Happy Debian hacking.
PS as usual, the boring day-to-day activity log is available at master:/srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.*

26 March 2011

Joerg Jaspert: Debian FTPMaster meeting 2011 - Internet! Is that thing still around?

And here we are again. And we still have energy for one more day (and a half). Barely, but still. And it is actually looking good, we do think we will have a working archive when we are leaving here tomorrow at noon. And compared to last year we won t even need a session until 3AM to make this work (and still have half of the tools not working). Yay. Yesterday had Ansgar fixing up various issues until we set him onto Generate Packages/Sources files out of the database . Which got us some funny quotes later on, like are 3.6 seconds to write a Sources file ok or too slow? (compared to the roughly 90 seconds it takes today). Torsten had various bugfixes (as we all, somehow there is never an end of them) and is currently looking at DSUS , which is the result we got out of a GSOC project. Mark tried to continue the multi-archive stuff but got distracted a lot, we regularly asked him to look at other items and then we also made him restart all the thoughts on it by slightly redefining the parameters for the multiple archives. I myself continued with shell scripting around the buildd autosigning and today I take to check up on all our cronjobs (besides unchecked/dinstall which we know do work) to ensure we can turn them back on starting this afternoon.

25 March 2011

Joerg Jaspert: Debian FTPMaster meeting 2011 - No, he's pretty dumb. He's in all the same special classes I am.

Should you have thought we are gone, let me assure you - we are not. I just blog a bit later than I did the last days. Anyways, we did have a good day yesterday. Turns out that, when Ansgar said I don t know much Python so might not be able to do much he actually meant Just point me at problems, no matter how complicated, and I come up with the python code to fix them . And so we did point him at various problems and got lots of code. And we intend to continue this until Sunday. Yesterday Mark got his Packages/Sources tool so far that we are about ready to ditch the old things, even though he took time to finalize my generate-release changes too. Not to speak about that database changes I wrote about in my last entry, which he now seems to have finally wrapped his brain around in a way to get those done. Short cite: good god, this will overhaul about all our code and database handling . And thats where he is currently working on too. He did draw a plenty complicated thats how it works onto the flip chart, and now seems to dump his brain into some form of python code. I m curious about the result, lets see. Torsten fixed up the code that generated the Maintainers and Uploaders files. The old code was just plain silly and took about 15 minutes just for the Uploaders file. It is now doing both of them in less than two. Of course there had been lots of bugfixes and code enhances too, not really good to list in a blog like this. My work, besides getting a bit sick in the evening, consisted of writing shell scripts to enable us and wanna-build admins to handle the keys needed for the automated signing of packages build on DSA maintained buildds. I have those ready now, so we are able to start doing the autosign stuff today/tomorrow. Phil - well, did whatever buildd related stuff he has to. Different place, I dont see much of it, but he has a blog himself, look over there.

24 March 2011

Joerg Jaspert: Debian FTPMaster meeting 2011 - I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, there's no way you can prove anything!

And here we are, with another day of work ahead. And another huge unchecked/dinstall run about to finish. Yesterday evening Ansgar and later on Phil turned up, so we are now 5 persons sitting here and mostly coding happily away. Mark continued trying to wrap his brain around the changes we need to properly support multiple archives, with different sets of rights attached to them. It is a complex topic giving lots of headache. Besides that he is on a very good way of letting us completly remove apt-ftparchive by importing all the data we need to write Packages/Sources files on our own. And even better, the same work we can use to rewrite our rm and cruft-report commands in a sane way, not parsing Packages files anymore. Torsten did help with various database issues around the Packages/Sources issue and continued working on importing all the source filenames into the database, so we can soon provide a Contents file for sources. My own work, besides writing blog entries and preparing meeting minutes, consists of a rewrite of the script generating our Release files, the old one just wasn t up to it anymore. Especially not as we are on our way of having more and more of our tools use parallel processing, to fully use the power our ftp-master host has. And when I am done with this I will be off to tackle the keyring maintenance part we will need to enable autosigning by buildds to work. Should get interesting, with the shit of an interface one usually finds to gpg Ansgar started out by working on changes to our NEW handling, something I started with the dpkg bug #619131 and he just finished our site of the NEW handling scripts. Which means that, as soon as the dpkg maintainers added the code on their side and support this field in the .dsc files, NEW handling for packages like linux-2.6 will be much smoother. He is now implementing version control constraints into our control-suite tool. Phil is working on wanna-build stuff. And while this is just a short overview of what we did, there is always lots of discussion and bugfixing going on. It is incredibly useful to have a team sitting in one room for some days.

31 October 2010

Debian News: New Debian Developers (November 2010)

The following developers got their Debian accounts in the last month: Congratulations!

Next.